New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

12G jbj nano tank lighting

Started by mchotdog, December 08, 2011, 06:07:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mchotdog

hey guys. when i woke up this morning, i realized that the light in my nano tank was not on. i guess its broken. i have no idea how to fix it and i was wondering if there is anyone, or any place that sells replacement hood or lighting system for 12G jbj nano tanks?
thank you

NjOyRiD

your best bet, contact their support!!
they will help you for sure
370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

mchotdog

its kinda urgent though. and i think they discontinued 12 G nanos :(
i tried jbjnanocubes.com and they dont carry it anymore...

NjOyRiD

option 1: try to fit a Ai nano under that top
option 2; sell your livestock
option 3: wait for somebody's opinion
370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

mchotdog

Quote from: NjOyRiD on December 08, 2011, 07:52:04 PM
option 1: try to fit a Ai nano under that top
option 2; sell your livestock
option 3: wait for somebody's opinion
thank you! i Google and found that marine escape sells this AI nano thingy. ill go check it out after i finish my exam on Saturday. do you know how much this thing usually sells for?

BadTiming

I don't have one of these, but I looked at the manual. Apperantly there's a fuse where the cord goes into the unit.
http://www.jbjlighting.com/pdfs/2006_12_24_Nano_Manual.pdf
Currently upgrading

mchotdog

Quote from: BadTiming on December 08, 2011, 09:03:42 PM
I don't have one of these, but I looked at the manual. Apperantly there's a fuse where the cord goes into the unit.
http://www.jbjlighting.com/pdfs/2006_12_24_Nano_Manual.pdf
i have no idea how those things work... i got my tank used. the former owner upgraded the lights and fans.
but it was over two years ago. all i want now is something that can provide enough light for my corals that costs under $100. do you have any suggestions?

redbelly

Reef tank lighting for under $100?
You basically have 3 options:
1) Fix the unit you have (replace the fuse or ballast or whatever is required)
2) Buy a used lighting system that may or may not fit perfectly
3) The sun.

I guarentee you that the AI unit will be over $100 and can guarentee you that any other decent unit will be over that.

mchotdog

Quote from: redbelly on December 08, 2011, 10:05:28 PM
Reef tank lighting for under $100?
You basically have 3 options:
1) Fix the unit you have (replace the fuse or ballast or whatever is required)
2) Buy a used lighting system that may or may not fit perfectly
3) The sun.

I guarentee you that the AI unit will be over $100 and can guarentee you that any other decent unit will be over that.

hehe i know.
it is only 12 gallons though.
because the tank itself is under 200 bucks brand new. and it had lights that worked perfectly for my softies and LPS. they grow like crazy.
i saw that they used to sell replacement hood with brand new lights and everything for 80 bucks only. im not looking for any fancy lights. just 36 watts of PC light will do perfectly fine.

mchotdog

problem solved, thank you for all your help.
just bought a 12 watt, 15'' blue ReefBrite LED(lightly used for $80) , and a 16'' fixture+2*10 watts 50/50 power compact bulb from Big Al's(NEW$50).
now my tank looks alright. just the top doesn't look great because its not the original hood anymore. and the fixture and LED unit doesn't fit perfectly.
with the blue LED, some colors are popping up on the corals that i have not seen with just PC lights.
$130 dollars is a lot cheaper than buying a AI nano unit for $350. but still, a original hood with lighting only costs $80. too bad they don't make them anymore.
do you guys think those lights will be enough for a 12 gallon Nano?