New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

brain coral 911 !!!!!

Started by matycake, January 25, 2012, 05:36:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matycake

I just got home and my brain coral was all driveled up all the rest of the corals are fine, my brain was perfect last night !!!! Need help

redbelly

Can you see any tears in the flesh?

Is the flesh lifting from the base?

Is the mouth open wide and gaping?

If the answer in no to these then I wouldnt worry about it and it will probably be fine.

matycake

It looks like its torn up :'( it was my favorite coral

Bob P

Bummer.
Probably something in the tank got at it.
Juvenile coris wrasse kept flipping mine over
till it killed it. Never bothered with it for two years.
Then had to dig under it every day.

Rybren

Don't give up on it.  I nearly lost mine last January; it wasn't inflating and the skelton was showing in a number of places.  It continued to deteriorate for a number of weeks and I was ready to throw it in the garbage.  It finally turned the corner and now you'd never know that anything was ever wrong with it.

At the start of the decline...

Now...

120G Reef

matycake

Mine looks way worse that, just sucks cause you was super nice and very halt :(

Hookup

Dakotamay

As Rybren says. Let it be. You might think it's a goner but, it may surprise you and come back.

We had a Fox Face that decided to take a liking to the taste of our open brain (they had been in the same tank a year). By the time we successfully caught the fish out of the 110g tank. The brain was pretty much skeleton. There was a tiny bit of flesh left. I left it be and now today about 6 or so months later it has fully recovered.

My advice is to watch the brain carefully and see if you can find an offender that may have torn it up. If you catch the devil red finned then remove it.

It is entirely possible that it is just going through a phase and will be fine. Unfortunately it could be dying too. Give it time and see what it does.

kole18

This brain coral is ok that's normal for brain to close like that  & maybe something touching it, this happen to my brain often because of my flameback thank god this angel is gone out my tank. Finally my brain is fully open & very happy :)