New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

BN Pleco with swollen abdomen

Started by woof99, November 24, 2012, 08:55:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woof99

Hi guys!

So today, while cleaning my tank I found one of my adult male BN Pleco completely swollen, looks like dropsy... just completely swollen.  He must be 5+ years old.  VERY shy, so I never see him,moved him to my 15g quarantine tank a few months ago since my other BN male seemed to be picking on him.  He shares that tank with the BN fry from my main tank.

Anyway, huge abdomen, so I decided to aspirate using a needle and syringe.  I am a vet tech and figured looking at what the fluid buil-up is would help.

The fluid in his abdomen is clear dark green, like water.  No pus or blood.
WTH!   ???
After, I pulled the needle out there was quite a release of fluid coming out, it was a tiny needle so the hole was tiny but I could see the green fluid coming out quite strongly.

Since then I set him up in a pail with heater, air pump and his fave ornament.
Added salt to the water... I have read that BN might and might not tolerate salt but I figured at this point I better try something.  Also added Metronidazole, again, just in case.  I am completely out of antibiotics...
Will get some tomorrow, if he survives the night.

Currently. he is perched on top of the ornament and comes up for air every few minutes.

Any ideas of what this could be?  I have seen articles on Plecos and bloat, looks fatal.   :'(

water is 78
ph- 7.4
nitrite-0
nitrate- 20
Ammonium-0

he gets gel food, zucchini and algae wafers, on different days.

Ideas?
Should I treat with antibiotics?  If so which one?
Thanks!

charlie

i have no experience in this aspect, but just wanted to  say , i hope your pleco recovers soon.
Best wishes
Errol

soleil1980

I never had that problem occur but I hope everything turns out ok.  I'm glad to hear you were able to at least do something.  Maybe by draining the wound it will be ok.  I just hope it is not contagious! Keep us posted! 
60g guppies, female bettas, bushynose plecos, cories, apistos
2 x 5.5g male bettas
10g bredding tank for bettas,
2.5g male betta
20g, divided with babies (bettas, plecos and cories)

woof99

Thanks guys, but he died during the might.
:'(

charlie

Quote from: woof99 on November 25, 2012, 07:57:52 PM
Thanks guys, but he died during the might.
:'(
So sorry to hear that, you did your best.
Errol

Shawn84

Sorry to hear. I have had that happen to my bn pleco before. It could possible that he has been eating dead fish that you don't know of. Cause him to to be like that. Or just a lot of meaty food.
A bunch a fishes.....
A bunch a tanks...........