New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Algae getting out of hand!

Started by Christianloug, March 24, 2019, 02:39:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Christianloug

Ok, I'll start with this. I know technically it's not an algae, but i didn't want a really long title. So my 75 gallon tank has a major problem with cyano bacteria. I have heard lots of bad things about it, and know that nothing will eat it, and if u move it, it will spread lots more pores and get bigger. I've tried doing a complete blanket for 3 days and then suctioning it out but it still came back. My tank is layered in it and I'm worried it's killing my plants. The ph is at 7, with 0 ammonia, 0nitrite and 0 nitrates. Also has 0 phosphates. Is there any way I can actually get rid of it or is it just going to be there forever? I turned the light so it's not as bright as well, and I am restricting the feeding a bit more. Everything that I try seems to fail and my tank just looks gross. Any help?

tanksalot360

Here's an older post on the subject.
http://ovas.ca/forum/index.php?topic=60517.msg338405#msg338405

Low nitrates do encourage cyano. So dosing may help other plants regain control.
I find blackouts handy to stop it from growing but it doesn't go away completely.
Ive had cyano occasionally on the undersides of glass tops, but not in the tank, it must really like the light, but this usually scrapes off easily.
I like erythromycin (EM) as its effective at killing the bacteria. (Availability may be limited now in Canada tho) But I don't follow the directions as if I were treating a disease- I use half. I also like to apply it directly to the cyano with the flow shut off for 5-10 min. I mix the powder with water and mix until suspended/dissolved - doesn't need to dissolve completely, then I pipette in onto affected areas. Wait 10 min and return flow. Usually redo a day or two later.
If you over use EM, you risk damaging your biological filter.

Hydrogen peroxide may be something else to look into if EM is not available. (Depending on tank size I may have some EM for you)

But like mentioned in the previous post - find your cause (low flow/low nitrate, high organics,etc) and you won't have to deal with it again.

Christianloug

I think the problem is mostly light and maybe some circulation, I'll get a circulation pump I guess, it's for a 75 gallon so any recommendations? I'll also remove some of the rocks and stuff I have in there, and turn the light down a bit more. Then I may try the hydrogen peroxide, although I've heard this is risky, do I dose the water? Thanks