New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Big Als , Petsmart should not be allowed to sell fish any longer

Started by kevino, July 11, 2020, 11:04:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevino

Just thought i'd post this for discussion. the fish stores in ottawa do not quarantine or treat fish prior to sale. in fact, big als routinely sell sick and dying fish to unsuspecting people just starting out in hobby. i have seen and experienced this directly. people take home fish with tapeworms, camalanus etc and then watch as they lose weight and die slowly, longer than "2 week health guarantee" coverage. just had a person doing some electrical work and he told me the same story of getting all set up and then losing fish, being ignored by big als staff and wasting money on ineffective treatments. they sell you infected fish and then profit off of your attempts to save them. they know the fish are infected in their tanks with undergravel filters (the worst for trying to treat fish) and they know you need prescribed antibiotics and dewormers to successfully cure fish which means you come back and buy more until you finally get discouraged and quit.
i know this situation is the functioning business model for big box stores. perhaps someone should set up a club or page to allow fish people with actual experience and quality stock can sell people healthy fish and provide correct advice on all things aquarium.
something needs to change for the fish hobby in ottawa and the fish themselves. most have no chance of a healthy life after their stay in these stores.
what do you all think?

OVAS-Moderator

As per Forum Rules, Section 2, Item 8, please do not post unsubstantiated claims or bad-mouth any store, sponsor or otherwise.

Thank you.

Arguing about Company/Store Policies.

Posts arguing about company/store policies are NOT allowed. This includes especially local fish stores (LFS), irrespective of them being sponsors or not.

There is to be absolutely no store or product bashing on any forum, including the sponsors' forums. Bashing consists of making unsubstantiated claims or bad-mouthing a store or an entire chain of stores for an incident you may have had with one particular person or store. Remember that if you have an unhappy experience at a store, talk with a supervisor, manager or owner of that store and try to resolve the problem.

Stores and manufacturers can only improve if they are made aware of problems with the staff and products. The responsibility is yours, the end user of these products, to try to resolve any issues you have with the person who can make the change needed to fix the problem. It is not appropriate to voice these opinions on a public forum.
Please familiarize yourself with the Forum Rules