New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

A Solution to BBA

Started by dpatte, January 09, 2021, 11:56:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dpatte

I have been in the hobby for 50 years, but only since I moved to Ottawa have I had issues with BBA (Black Brush Algae).
And until this year I had no cure, but I have found something and wanted to share it.

H2O2 (Hydrogen Peroxide)

The trick is to add 10ml of 3% hydrogen peroxide per 15 gallons of water for 3 days and wait.
https://neeness.com/black-beard-algae/

I did this to a 75 gallon tank after removing all the fish, but not the plants and it worked great. The article says that removing fish was not necessary, but I have 3 gorgeous Synodontis multipunctatus {?} that I've owned for over 15 years there and wasn't willing to risk them.

BBA all gone, and plants look fine.

I now have another tank with BBA that i started doing tonight, but i have left in the fish. i have started today but with 1/4 the dosage, and will watch if the fish distress, and report.

1 210g Asian Community planted fast water tank: balas, tiger & black ruby barbs, red-tail black shark, rainbows, loaches, SAEs, gold CAEs, 1500GPH river flow, plus 1500gph filtration.
1 75g African planted tank: 3 synos (had them since the 90s), yellow labs, kribensis.
1 40g breeder, silicone-divided into two - quarantine and nursery.

Black_Rose

I've tried peroxide on one of my tanks that has BBA in it.

Both times I negatively affected the cycle.
I guess I may have added too much, even though I thought I had underdosed.

I refuse to use Flourish Excel in my tanks.

lucius

Gowalkitoff

Quote from: Black_Rose on January 11, 2021, 09:29:30 AM

I refuse to use Flourish Excel in my tanks.

Hi Blackrose.  Can I ask why?

Black_Rose

Quote from: Gowalkitoff on January 11, 2021, 09:56:33 AM

Hi Blackrose.  Can I ask why?
Every time I used it (underdosed it) I had panda cories die within days.

Both of my tanks with BBA have panda cories in them.
One also has a decent sized group of pygmy cories, which also seem to be delicate.

exv152

Hydrogen peroxide is one of my go-to solutions for algae control. Buy it from the dollar store, where's it's way cheaper than anywhere else.  ;)
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

trials_best

Funny enough I just did a 1-2 punch a few weeks ago and the tank is very close to algae free. I do not do the Excel at the end though as that stuff is so bad. I'll have to spot treat a few areas that didnt have as much flow when doing the treatment but it works really well.

new_hobby

I also under dose my 35G tank with hydrogen peroxide, and the BBA is still there. Should I do a water change before doing it again?