New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Fish room organisation

Started by matttimms49, August 06, 2020, 11:11:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

matttimms49

Hey OVAS peeps,

I'm hoping to get my small fish room in order and I was wondering if anyone had any advice or tips on how they keep things semi organized.  :P

For example what items to group together in storage totes.

What things to keep in and around the sink area. Was thinking of oshelves up around there to hang fish nets and Syphon tubes etc.

Any little bits of advice or ideas would be super.

Thanks,
Matt

lucius

I keep three storage totes.  One for food and ferts, one for scaping material and the last for hardware except heaters.  Spare heaters, bulbs and unused lids are stored in my ceiling joists, I have an unfinished basement.  Nets, buckets and siphon tubes are actually kept close the tanks.  This where I use them so I keep them close.  All my tanks have their own stand so I store stuff underneath except for two tanks.  They are on the same DIY stand, top and bottom, and I hate accessing the bottom one.  I'm probably going to make a new stand for it soon.  Next to my basement sink, I made a shelf that is the same height as the sink and it serves as counter space.  I also store stuff under this shelf.

matttimms49

Thanks @lucius this is exactly the kind of info I was hoping for.

Nice Idea having counter space near the sink. Do you have your nets and syphon tubes just sitting in the bucket ready for use next time?

Also do you have a separate syphon and net for each tank?

Thanks for the reply.

Jody

Hi Matt!

So I just throw everything into and then rummage through..lol

No, I try to sort things on their use, so parts in a small bin, filters, air stuff..etc.
Most of my wet stuff, like nets and siphon tubes I keep in buckets.
I have tried to do storage under a lot of my tanks, as like lucius I don't like working on bottom tanks, though in some cases I have set up tanks on lower levels too..
Best thing I can say is that keep stuff you use handy to grab quickly, and everything else can go in bins put away.

Jody

lucius

I actually only use the siphon tubes for smaller water changes.  For the most part I use Mag pumps to pump the water out for my water changes.  I use the same pumps, siphon tubes and garden hoses for all my tanks.  I use the same nets in all my tanks and I hang them instead of leaving in a bucket.

matttimms49

thanks for the opinions so far guys. I have siphons and nets hanging above my sink at the moment and its starting to get a bit over crowded.

Hadn't though about doing water changes with a pump but that seems like a good idea.

lucius

Here's what I use for the tank on the bottom shelf since I can't get a siphon going.  It's an Aqueon AQ600 pump attached to six feet of tubing.  It's also good for draining tanks to its lowest if needed.  I can't seem to find the pump on Big Al's website anymore but it's rated for 159 gph so it pumps water out of a 20 gallon pretty quickly.

matttimms49

awesome thanks for that info :) I have a small pond pump that i may try and use for that use