New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Cloudy greenish water - blacking out the tank not helping!

Started by Tamaradebra, May 05, 2019, 11:30:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tamaradebra

Another shout out for help. When will my trials end? WAS a proud new owner of a 32g Flex after disaster with a bow front 38g. Tried to do everything right this time - lights, substrate, fish numbers...and a now a new challenge. At least all my fish didn't die this time!  :) Had the water tested at Critter Jungle and it's 100%. For all parameters. I don't use anything in the water besides conditioner during water changes. Substrate plus a few plants. Removed all fish to holding tank due to ick. Turned off all lights and covered tank to black it out, it's been about a week and very little change in the water. What can I do?! Thanks in advance.

Christianloug

Ive had this issue with the flex before! Hopefully you don't have too many fish and that will make it easier. what I did was 80% water change, black out for 3 days and then another 40% when you take the blankets off. It worked for me. Hopefully will work for you!
Christian

Gilbotron

This is usually an issue of too much light and/or nutrients in the water. Blackouts and water changes will correct it, but it will likely come back if not solved at the source.  Sunlight is usually a contributor if tank is near a window or in a well lit room.

If you can lower the intensity of the light (or raise it a little higher above the tank), this should help. I personally always found adding more plants - especially fast growing ones or floating ones like frogbit, pennywort or hornwort the best way to resolve the issue (so they can suck up all the excess nutrients in the water). I've also heard (but have not tried yet) that UV sterilizers are great for clearing up green water.

Also, when doing water changes, don't go with a big change as it will throw the nutrient balance off drastically. Best to do 25-33% daily for a couple days rather than one big one.

If you need frogbit or pennywort PM me. I'm usually overrun by them...

Christianloug

Plants do help too! If you want some quick growing vallisneria I can sell you some for cheap, just pm me, I also have an ad up for it on Kijiji.
Or even rotala rotundafolia
Christian