New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

First time fishless cycling bit confused

Started by Oldguy, October 19, 2019, 06:29:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldguy

[After being out of the hobby for over 30 years I jumped in head first. And boy have things changed!
The days of buying a tank on Friday and stocking it on Saturday are gone, and when I think back to the number of fish I lost its changed for the best.
So to the details
55 gallon high tank
Eheim 2513 canister filter, heater and running 3 air stones gravel substrate
Large driftwood  (boiler for hours) lava rock and a corny volcano from amazon( wife's helpful suggestion)
Tank filled on Friday the 11th used Big Al's water conditioner as per instructions
Saturday the 12 used Big Al's bio support and that evening started Algone fishless cycling with 30 drops ammonia  2 hrs later API ammonia test showed 1 ppm
Sunday 13 another 30 drops ammonia 2 hours later tested and showed between about 3 to 4 ppm
Monday 14 woke up to massive bacteria bloom tank was so cloudy could not see more then a few inches (50mm)   wow something must be working
This time tested before putting in more ammonia reading appeared to be between 2 and 3 ppm gave it another 30 drops
Tuesday 15th reading in morning close to 6 did not add addition drops
Wednesday morning reading down to 3 first nitrite test 0 added 30 drop ammonia
Thursday morning reading at 2ppm nitrites 0.25 ppm added 30 drops

Since then I have continuted to add ammonia but ammonia levels have stayed at 2 ppm and nitrites have dropped to 0.

Any suggestions,  or is patience what I need.

Sorry for the long explanation and thank you in advance for any help you may offer

Mike L

That is normal to have a stall in the cycle. On a brand new tank in particular. Expect 20 plus days. Maybe a fellow hobbyist can give you some established media or gravel to put in your filter. That would speed things up. Where do you live?
Mike

Gilbotron

Patience, pre-seeded media and/or lots of plants will allow you to move forward with fish safely. 

When setting up a new tank I usually pre-seed with existing media, plant it heavily, and put fish in on the same day.  Floating plants are best as they don't need to climatize/establish roots before they start uptaking the ammonia and nitrites.

If you need pre-seeded media (lava rock) or floating plants I've got lots available. My lava rock and most plants come with free snails - I only have salvinia and pennywort that is snail free. Pickup in Orleans. PM me if interested.

HayleYoyo

I’ve done about 3 or 4 tanks as a fishless cycle. Sounds like you’re too ammonia happy!

Wait for it to drop to 0 before you add more, and try not to go past 4 ppm

I made a flow chart. It isn’t perfect, but I found it helpful

Oldguy

Thanks guys. I am letting my ammonia drop, after reading on a UK site I think your right that I was ammonia happy.