New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Worms in my water column

Started by Guybeaux, March 02, 2020, 08:37:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guybeaux

I just found out that I have an outbreak or invasion of worms in my quarantine tank
They are 1 to 2 cm
They are almost transparent
The only way I could see them is that they wiggle in the water column.
For the last hour + I've stand in front of the tank trying to scoop them out.
I've brought 3 new cory penda yesturday
The same day I've lost a guppy. Today I've got a 2nd one not looking good
I've isolated him in my hospital tank.
No new plant. It's just a 10 gal tank with a bio wheel Marineland filter, an air pump
I do water change once a week. I've vaccum the bottom 2 or 3 days ago.
Would anybody might have an idea of what I'm dealing with ?
Thank you

Filet_O_Fish

Are they flat, have a triangular head, and two small black eyes, or are they round and whitish? The first is planaria, and the second detrious worms. Those are the most common. There can be other parasites similar to what you describe. A picture would really help identify them.

Have you done any water tests?
The first time I got shrimp my wife asked "How big do they get and can you eat them?"

Guybeaux

They seem to be round but they are so small they are thinner than a hair. Only the frenetic wiggle give them away. The Detrious seem to be bigger and white and I haven't read that they wiggle frenetically.
Tonight I've vacuumed the gravel which wasn't really dirty and I made almost a 50% water change.
After that I must have scooped out with a net at least 15 to 20 of them.
Tomorrow if I find the time I will go back at the store where I bought the three cori panda and check closely the water of the tank they were in to see if this isn't the origin of my problem.
Even though I can't seem to identify the worm on internet people seem to say that there isn't much you can do to get rid of worms other than vacuuming the bottom and make frequent water change.

Guybeaux

Ed at BigAll suggested me to add fresh water aquarium salt which I did and it seems to have worked since I can't see them anymore. I then found out that I had some in my hospital tank. I've treated last night so I will follow up on that one too. I will start a new tread on the salt subject on the fresh water tank forum.