New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

New to forum

Started by YOWgyrl, October 22, 2019, 01:32:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

YOWgyrl

Hello everyone,

I've been in the hobby since July 2018 and I love it.

I have 5 tanks, 4 are dirted planted tanks and one is about to be converted.

Looking forward to contributing to the conversations.

Gilbotron

Welcome!

Lots of dirted tank fans here - you're in the right spot! 

We love pics - please post some pictures of your setups when you can!

Jody

Welcome!

We have a great meeting all about tissue culture plants and dry starting aquariums that may interest you coming up on Monday.

Jody

Gilbotron

Your tanks are looking great! Thanks for posting and sharing. I really like the look of your mixed sand/gravel. Very natural looking and compliments the wood and stone very nicely. Will be interesting to see how they mature as the plants fill in.

I'm a big fan of the Walstad method (low maintenance= awesome!) and have setup all my smaller tanks using that (6g, 6g, 10g, 10g, 10g). One of these days I'd like to convert my larger tanks if I can find the time.

What brand/type of potting soil are you using? Have you had any algae issues with it? Did you mineralize it?
I used to use Miracle Grow Organic Potting Soil (0.1, 0.05, 0.1) and it was amazing, but for a few years now have not been able to find it in stores. Lately I've been using the Natures Care Potting Mix (0.15, 0.1, 0.15) and am finding the nutrient base too high so am getting some tufts of green hair algae (usually around the filter intake if tank has a filter).  Maybe if I mineralized it performance would be better? I'm looking for a better brand closer to 0.1, 0.05, 0.1 as that seems to be the sweet spot for Walstad tanks but have not had any luck finding anything...