New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

I'm BAAAACK!!! - Again

Started by Muad'Dib, November 10, 2020, 10:22:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Muad'Dib

Well it has been far too long since I was on this forum.
I just renewed my membership... and had to check out the forums.
I have been away from the hobby for more than 6 years, and have decided it's time to get back in. I did renew my membership back in 2018, but never managed to do anything.
I don't have the tank set up yet.. still collecting parts.. but soon I hope.

Just wanted to say Hi to everyone!!

[EDIT]
After having a nice chat with Bruce (bitterman) this afternoon... I may soon have everything I need to get back up and running ( less the livestock)

I'm looking to get back in to African Cichlids (Lake Malawi specific ) I'll post some pictures once it's all setup.

Cheers
Dean (aka Muad'Dib)

50 Gal Main aquarium w/ 40gal sump for filtration - Currently housing 19 cichlids.
4 - Labidochromis caeruleus - Electric Yellow Labs
5  - Cynotilapia Afra White Top "Hara Reef"
4 - Aulonocara sp. "OB " - Orange Blotch Peacock Cichlid
3 - Protomelas taeniolatus (Likoma Is.) Tangerine Tiger Cichlid
3 - Otopharynx Lithobates (Zimbawe Rock) - Aristo Yellow Blaze Cichlid
12 Gal grow tank - 40 + OB Peacock, Electric Yellow Labs, Hara Reef Afras Fry + maybe a Yellow Blaze Litho Fry or 2

charlie

Welcome back , what took you so long :P

Muad'Dib

Quote from: charlie on November 11, 2020, 09:45:04 AM
Welcome back , what took you so long :P

Procrastination, and budget...  I Don't have one!   ;D

Bruce has to pull all the stuff he's giving me out of storage, so that mat still take a bit of time, but I am now planning on what will go in it.
My original plan was to have a large generic tropical tank with potentially dozens of fish (Easy to do with Guppies, Neons and Tetra's), then started thinking I missed the African Cichlids, so now I'm looking at that, but I want to have it over stocked to help avoid some aggression.  I'm thinking the setup I'm getting would be perfect for that. it's am old SW setup complete with rock, aragonite substrate, overflow and sump, a Rena XP3 canister filter and possibly even an Aquaclear 110 for filtration. This should be able to handle the load from the extra fish.

Anyway I'm hoping that I can have it up and running by early January.

50 Gal Main aquarium w/ 40gal sump for filtration - Currently housing 19 cichlids.
12 Gal grow tank - 40 + OB Peacock, Electric Yellow Labs, Hara Reef Afras Fry + maybe a Yellow Blaze Litho Fry or 2

OttawaFolkFestivum

Hi Dean,

Welcome back! I just got back into it in the last couple years as well. In my case it was kids that put my on the sidelines. I just didn't want tanks around when they were babies and toddlers. Now I'm back into it, so I know the feeling ;0 It will be good to get the activity back up in the OVAS forum so be sure to post some pics and I'll do the same. Is it fair to say I'm cichlid-curious? I have an empty 75G and just turned on a Fluval FX6 last night. Issue is with kids and my wife - the aggression is a big issue. So likely avoid it for now.

Would also be interested to see what you notice as differences having left and come back. In 10 years, some things were noticeable. I would say a trend to lower maintenance tanks in the planted world, an uptick in dirted tanks or the success with that, LED lighting of course, and more people embracing sponge filters.

But enough about me. Welcome back.

Cheers, Steve

Muad'Dib

Quote from: OttawaFolkFestivum on November 30, 2020, 04:37:51 PM
Hi Dean,

Welcome back! I just got back into it in the last couple years as well. In my case it was kids that put my on the sidelines. I just didn't want tanks around when they were babies and toddlers. Now I'm back into it, so I know the feeling ;0 It will be good to get the activity back up in the OVAS forum so be sure to post some pics and I'll do the same. Is it fair to say I'm cichlid-curious? I have an empty 75G and just turned on a Fluval FX6 last night. Issue is with kids and my wife - the aggression is a big issue. So likely avoid it for now.

Would also be interested to see what you notice as differences having left and come back. In 10 years, some things were noticeable. I would say a trend to lower maintenance tanks in the planted world, an uptick in dirted tanks or the success with that, LED lighting of course, and more people embracing sponge filters.

But enough about me. Welcome back.

Hi Steve

Thanks for the welcome..
I'm still waiting to possession of the tank/ Stand/ and filters from my friend. But with any luck I'll get it in the next week or so.

Along with the tank I'm also getting a bunch of live rock and aragonite substrate. (I'll boil everything before I use it. )
Actually the setup I'm getting was originally used for saltwater, but I'm sticking with Freshwater.
it comes with an XP3 canister filter, which I used before on my 30 Gal Cichlid tank, and loved it.

While I'm waiting for the tank to arrive, I keep checking out FB Marketplace and found a used API NEXX Filter that I hope I can get too. (I live by the Philosophy that you can't have too much filtration :-)  )

One thing I am definitely looking forward to is the LED lights.
I'm also looking to try to have it as a semi-planted tank. I know the Lake Malawi cichlids I am looking to keep tend to uproot and destroy plants, I'm hoping to get so hardy species that will survive.

I'll definitely post pictures documenting the progress once it's up and running.

I will say that one thing I have noticed regarding the OVAS forums, is that appear to be quieter than when I first joined, more than 10 years ago. I'm not sure if that because of a waning in interest for the hobby, or if more people are just sticking to Facebook. either way, I'm happy to be back and look forward to reconnecting with people on here.

Cheers
Dean

Mike L

While I recently got out of the hobby after over 30 years I still lurk. The forum still has its fair share of very knowledgeable hobbyists. Unfortunately most are planted. Few cichlid lovers. Hopefully that changes. Why Malawi cichlids. Why not tanganyikan. They are a lot friendlier to plants and a lot more refined as far as the evolutionary aspect. Also tend to keep to themselves. There are many dwarfs that would be perfect for a 60 or 75 gallon.
Mike

Muad'Dib

Quote from: Mike L on December 07, 2020, 03:46:46 PM
While I recently got out of the hobby after over 30 years I still lurk. The forum still has its fair share of very knowledgeable hobbyists. Unfortunately most are planted. Few cichlid lovers. Hopefully that changes. Why Malawi cichlids. Why not tanganyikan. They are a lot friendlier to plants and a lot more refined as far as the evolutionary aspect. Also tend to keep to themselves. There are many dwarfs that would be perfect for a 60 or 75 gallon.
Mike

Hi Mike,
I choose to go with Malawi Cichlids because that's what I had before (In a 30 Gal) and had a lot of success. They nearly bred like guppies.  :P

There used to be a lot of cichlid experts on here, so I'm hoping they may still be lurking...

But as the tank is not yet setup or cycled, there is plenty of time to change my mind.  I really want a nice planted tank, so there is a chance I might change my mind. :-D
Cheers
Dean

Mike L

For what it's worth a 30 is way too small for Malawi. Minimum suggested is 75. I would seriously consider tang dwarfs. They meet your requirements for planted better.  Maybe I missed it. What are the demensions of tank?

Muad'Dib

Hi Mike,
Yup I agree that a 30 Gal is supposed to be too small, but they thrived, and I had no issues with aggression.
For the new tank the dimensions are 18 X 19 X 36 .  (50Gal)

Muad'Dib

Today is a big day. I'm picking up the aquarium and stand, plus all the equipment and decorations (rock) today. One step closer to having my aquarium back up and running.

Bob_S

Hi Dean,
welcome back

I currently have Lake Malawi African Cichlids in my 100 Gallon tank. The main inhabitants are Labidochromis Caeruleous and Pseudotropheus Socolofi with a couple of miscellaneous Mbuna Males of various varieties. Over the last year the fry have grown so the tank is starting to get overcrowded.
The Pseudotropheus Socolofi are showing breeding behavior and the Yellow Labs vary in size from Juvenile to Adults.
Let me know if you are interested in any of these, I plan on sorting through the group in the later part of January.
bob

120g  Yellow Labs, PS Socolofi,  Neolomprologus leleupi , compressiceps Chaitika
30g Albino Pleco's
30g Planted, 10g cherry shrimp

Muad'Dib

Quote from: Bob_S on December 30, 2020, 01:05:52 PM
Hi Dean,
welcome back

I currently have Lake Malawi African Cichlids in my 100 Gallon tank. The main inhabitants are Labidochromis Caeruleous and Pseudotropheus Socolofi with a couple of miscellaneous Mbuna Males of various varieties. Over the last year the fry have grown so the tank is starting to get overcrowded.
The Pseudotropheus Socolofi are showing breeding behavior and the Yellow Labs vary in size from Juvenile to Adults.
Let me know if you are interested in any of these, I plan on sorting through the group in the later part of January.
bob

Hi Bob.

I will definitely be interested in some of your Fry. I'm cleaning everything now and hope to have water in it and start cycling it by weeks end.  I'm going to try an express cycle with ammonia and if I can find it with the lockdown something to seed the filter. If I'm lucky I just might be ready for livestock by the time you look to thinning your herd.

Thank You for thinking of me.
Dean