New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Hello everyone!!! And local questions about getting RCS and plants...

Started by newShrimpDude, July 10, 2021, 06:28:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

newShrimpDude

Hey everybody!

My 7 year old kid is a budding biologist and loves all creatures... very knowledgeable for his age.  Anyways he begged for a pet and we settled on red cherry shrimp.  If he loses interest I'm keen too so I can take over.

I've done a bunch of reading online but I have a few more questions...

1.  I used the API test strips (a little cheesy I know... I also have the real kit) and the GH/KH is very low.  Do I need to use a hardner for red cherry shrimp/neocaridina?
2.  Where is the best place to buy shrimp?  I can get most of the hardware pretty easily ti seems... would Big Al's be the place?
3.  Same as #2 but with plants... gonna get the commonly recommended beginner plants... Java fern, java moss, anubias.

Thanks! This seems like a great forum,
NSD

tanksalot360

Hi NSD,

Welcome to the forum!

Generally, you do want a little kh/gh hardness for neos. Especially if you notice difficulties when they molt. But if they are breeding and molting you may not want to change things. Adding some plants or soil substrates may rob the water of harness contributing minerals, so it's a good idea to keep an eye on the levels so they don't go to low which can contribute to sharp changes in pH.

Some hard scape stone will help add minerals (dragon, seiryu) naturally and buffer the water hardness, some sands like a small amount of aragonite sand can also help.

Salty Shrimp is a mineral additive that is commonly added to purified water by shrimp keepers - a common rule is to maintain 200ppm tds for neos which probably put the gh/kh in a moderate range using this product.

For starting stock I'd look on kijiji for local shrimp and pick up a group of 6-10, these you know have bred and are relatively healthy in local water. In town you may want to check out Critter Jungle, Big Als or La Niche (Gatineau). Check for heathy stock. Avoid shrimp from a tank if you notice small white or clear parasites on the shrimp, foggy bodies or greenish growth where the eggs would normally be carried.

Those are great starting plants and there is usually good selection from all of these vendors. You may want to establish your plants before adding the shrimp.

newShrimpDude