New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

With all the Ph fluctuation issues, were to get accurate reliable ph meters?

Started by bitterman, February 25, 2007, 10:45:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bitterman

I was looking around and the following Ph meter seams to be accurate to +-.01 Ph and also does temp
pHep5 Waterproof-pH Electronic Tester

Anyone know a place were we could get these cheap? I see prices from about 80US to 300us depending were I look. Maybe we could get a good deal if we did a group buy?
Anyone know any sources?
Have any contacts?

Know of any good accurate PH meters with +-.01 accuracy that are resonably priced?

I'd like to get one (but don't have the money to spend 100+ on one) My tank Ph is in the 9's and having a Ph meter would be nice to be able to monitor the water. Currently its just estimation. Drop kits and they look about the same color each time but I am Out of  the supported range.

Thanks,
   Bruce

clouxles

I just purchased one of these seems to be working fine 20.00 USD and reasonable shipping.

http://www.aquacave.com/detail.aspx?ID=631

Yes the PH shifts are giving me grey (more) hair!  :D
Mark D.
210 gallon 3 Ornate Bichirs, 1 Dhelezi Bichir, 1 Rope Fish, Black Ghost Knife, Royal Pleco, Fire Eel, Clown Loach, BN Pleco
125 gallon Elephant Nose, Rainbows, Gourami (Pearl - Blue) Plecos (BN & Clown)

Go big or go home... no more MTS for me

BigDaddy

You want both resolution and accuraccy... a lot of times the resolution will be 0.01, but the accuracy is only .1

I have the Milwaukee pH52.  It has an accuracy and resolution of .1  The pH 53 is accurate to .1 but resolves to .01

I believe I paid around $50 US after shipping for mine from eBay

PrincessFish

BigDaddy

Compared to an electronic meter?  Not very.  Titration kits also become less accurate over time... so the older your kit is, the more potential for it to be "off"

busdriver

Quote from: BigDaddy on February 25, 2007, 11:43:20 AM
Compared to an electronic meter?  Not very.  Titration kits also become less accurate over time... so the older your kit is, the more potential for it to be "off"
BD, does this apply to all test kits (API)
Like PFG says "I miss this place and all the people associated with it."

charlie

Quote from: bitterman on February 25, 2007, 10:45:21 AM
I was looking around and the following Ph meter seams to be accurate to +-.01 Ph and also does temp
pHep5 Waterproof-pH Electronic Tester

Anyone know a place were we could get these cheap? I see prices from about 80US to 300us depending were I look. Maybe we could get a good deal if we did a group buy?
Anyone know any sources?
Have any contacts?

Know of any good accurate PH meters wiht +-.01 accuracy that are resonably priced?

I'd like to get one (but don't have the money to spend 100+ on one) My tank Ph is in the 9's and having a Ph meter would be nice to be able to monitor the water. Currently its just estimation. Drop kits and they look about the same color each time but I am Out of  the supported range.

Thanks,
   Bruce
Check this out Bruce

http://cgi.ebay.com/Hanna-pHep4-Digital-pH-temp-Waterproof-Meter-Tester_W0QQitemZ170081914820QQihZ007QQcategoryZ117435QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

babblefish1960

That's the one I was trying to remember charlie, thank you, you've a better memory than I.  ;)
For this one, a group order would be worth it.

Yes mr. busdriver, liquid drops are solutions, and certain parts of the solutions will, over time, either separate out or degrade, so old kits are unknowns that may throw you off by thinking you know where the pH is at. 8)  I can go into boring detail if you prefer. ;D

charlie

Just to let you guys know , this unit locally in Ottawa is 147.00 @ Canada wide scientific, so that price is great.

http://canadawide.ca/products/637-550.4.html
Regards

bitterman

The Hanna pHep4 accuracy is only +- .1 Resplution is also .1
The Hanna pHep5 accuracy is +- .01  and Resolution of .01

I was looking at this web site and the pHep5 seams to fit the bill better and only $5 more. I want the accuracy, not the so worried about the display to 3 decmal places. And only $5 I like that.

http://www.automatedaquariums.com/h_98127.htm

charlie

Quote from: BigDaddy on February 26, 2007, 02:35:04 PM
... and frankly I can live with being +/- .1

Have to agree with you BD, i myself have the PHep 4
Regards