New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Would this work?

Started by Mike62, March 29, 2012, 12:28:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike62

I am thinking of buying a tank (used) and setting it up for saltwater, with a sump. Now, Ive been looking at sump stuff online, and one of the big concerns seems to be floods on power failures. Also, since it is used, I likely cant drill it to use an overflow skimmer, so I was wondering if this would work.
Instead of using any other sort of method to pull the water down to the sump, I would use a filter and pump (which would also provide more filtration) and instead of the return line going back to the tank, it would go to the first chamber on the sump. I was also thinking of making the sump with two chambers, and having the only way for the water to go from chamber #1 to chamber #2 would be with a phosban reactor sucking the water out of #1 and returning to #2. I could also hook up the skimmer down there, and then have a submersible pump sending the water back to the tank.
Theoretically, if there was a power failure, the filter pump would stop sucking water out of the tank above, so there shouldnt be any danger of there being an overflow.
Have I missed anything here, and is the idea I propose not going to work for some reason?
Life is full of questions. Chocolate is the answer.

wandmangels

the hoses for the filter will still Syphon the water out of the display causing an overflow during a power failure

Also using a filter and return pump together may be hard to set up to work properly because the rate of water flow would have to be EXACTLY the same for them to work properly together ie:1gph difference between the filter/pump on a 2 gallon buffer zone in the sump will overflow either in about 2 hrs

if you are using a sump it needs to be large enough to hold all of the water that will drain into it PLUS the water that will be inside the sump

Feivel

Why not haave it drilled? Just because it is used doesnt mean you cant have it drilled. Be aware of if it, is tempered or not. You can have the pump returning water to the display.

Start,with sump full to the point you want it to stop at. Then turn on pumps. Sharpie marker the settling point,of the flow with pumps on skimmer running etc etc. Make sure your top offs dont exceed that mark. Shoild be safe. That is as long as the syphon breaks. VERY IMPORTANT that it breaks when powered off. Or else disaster will happen.  My hob skimmer takes like 1.5 gal. And,little aquaclear carbon filter is minimal. My return pump pushes up what falls down the sump hose no problems there. And the return line sits just below water line. Syphon breaks within 2 gals

bt

Quote from: wandmangels on March 29, 2012, 01:12:50 PMAlso using a filter and return pump together may be hard to set up to work properly because the rate of water flow would have to be EXACTLY the same for them to work properly together ie:1gph difference between the filter/pump on a 2 gallon buffer zone in the sump will overflow either in about 2 hrs

+1. Pumping in multiple directions is just asking for trouble.

Mike62

Yeah, I figured out the business of the two pumps having to match about an hour after I posted that. I dont know if the glass on the used tank is tempered or not. If it is tempered, and I cant drill it, how can I get a sump going in a tank like that? And, at least is it a good idea to have my sump 2 chambered, and use a phosban to pump water from chamber #1 to chamber #2, which will make sure that all the water goes through it.
Life is full of questions. Chocolate is the answer.

bt

There are hang on back overflows available.  I personally don't consider them as reliable as a drilled tank, but they're hardly "guaranteed to flood" either.

Hookup

in addition to matched flows, you have two pionts of failure... power-failure is one thing... but what if one pump breaks, clogs, etc...

just drill the tank or have it drilled.  a few ppl on OVAS have the bits and will offer to help or do it for a small fee... good bits are expensive so the fee is normal, IMO.

Then you can have a standard overflow setup... which by definition of "standard" is a best-practice... and best-practice for a reason...

Feivel

I noticed a u shaped overflow style tube clear at fishtails for not too expensive.lo l hope this helps to answer your original question

veron

either drill, or go sumpless. ;D any other way is a disaster waiting. Also, look into
type of overflow designs. Google BEAN ANIMAL or HERBIE.  2 best designs going and fairly easy.

Marx

not fair to say Veron...

Lifereef overflows have never failed in 24years.. check out their webpage.

i used these before, and living in orleans at the time they had rolling black outs in the summer. and never did the syphon break.

go U-tube design, its the safest way to go if you go over flow!

dakrazyone

I installed a CPR CS100 overflow box onto my 55g after having the tank for a year (didn't want to restart),and didn't have a problem in terms of losing syphon.  But if your going with a new tank and have nothing stocked, i would drill it.  Just my 2 cents.

veron

safer than drilling 8) nothing beats a COAST TO COAST overflow for surface skimming
of proteins and oils to the sump for the skimmer to work on or refugium. The cost of a LIFEREEF overflow would make me drill the tanks ;)

Marx

nono i mean if he didn't want to drill. the life reef is safest bet.

veron

moused

2 pumps = flood

Go with one of these options:

HOB Skimmer: (sumpless)

Tube Overflow
(no power needed - gravity fed)

Box Overflow - electric vacume activated:
(power goes out it stops draining)

Bean (requires drilling) - with coast to coast
(note: aways have min. two drains - for one can clog - I can't tell you how many snails cover a 1" hole that I've had)

As others mentioned, I recommend coast to coast. Makes a difference on how much you actually skim.  I've tried a couple of the methods above and the coast to coast defintely resulted in more pulled by the skimmer.

I personally drilled 4 holes in my 125 myself.  Alot easier then you think.  Just make sure your glass isn't tempered, is the only thing.

Hookup

i built my first overflow... it was the same design as the lifereef...

tablesaw + 4x4 sheet of acrylic and some glue...  maybe $100 all in (table saw not included)...