New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

how long can coral live with just actinics

Started by Darth, April 04, 2011, 01:27:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth

so I was wondering how long can my corals live with just the actinics, they are 3 anenome some frogspawn torch candycane open brain colt some xenia and zoa, would they last a few days a few weeks?? LMK what you guys think

cn

Quote from: Darth on April 04, 2011, 01:27:54 PM
so I was wondering how long can my corals live with just the actinics, they are 3 anenome some frogspawn torch candycane open brain colt some xenia and zoa, would they last a few days a few weeks?? LMK what you guys think

I think they will last atleast a week. Just make sure to acclimate them slowly back to full lighting after.

JetJumper

I personally have gone over a week easy with just actinics.  On SPS LPS and pretty much anything in between.  I did this to help with a Cyano outbreak and it helped a lot.
.: JetJumper's Zone :.

Darth

that is what I am hoping for, I am getting a bit of cyano and want it to stop before it gets out of hand, hoping for less light will kill it

veron

anything more than a week might start to cause issues, also your anenomes might start to wander. while keep the lights out might help temporarily, you'll need to address flow&nutrient problem because cyno will just come back.

winston199

Run 2light cycles one in morning lights out for a couple hours then on for the remaining time needed to complete your light cycle that way your corals will get the light needed and cyano will go away

Hookup

I think you're fine... I did a 3 day blackout a few times, using beach-towels to make it as close to zero light as possible, no issues... for corals... Cyano was not a fan...;)

Here's what's worked for me.

1) syphon out as much as you can (good excuse for a water change)
2) black out the system with towels for 3 days
3) increase skimming to "as wet as you can"
4) put on fresh carbon
5) feed only a very little... starve the fish without killing them, it's only 3 days

When this is done, I found that when I put on the lights back at their 8hr cycle, the cyano came back fast...   It took me two or three attempts to figure this out...   When I went with a 4 hr cycle for lights for the first week (approx) and then moved it up to 6hrs for a week or so it worked... I kept the light cycle LOW and increased it based upon my gut-feeling of if/how much cyano was coming back...

Darth

funny thing I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but I changed my mh bulb from 15k to 20k and the cyano and the briosis (btw best cure for briosis is cyano  ;D ) have started to receed a bit its been 3 days with the higher k, and the cyano is almost gone again don't know if this has anything to do with it, has anyone else expirienced less algea with a higher k bulb??

Hookup

Quote from: Darth on April 07, 2011, 10:45:57 AM
funny thing I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but I changed my mh bulb from 15k to 20k and the cyano and the briosis (btw best cure for briosis is cyano  ;D ) have started to receed a bit its been 3 days with the higher k, and the cyano is almost gone again don't know if this has anything to do with it, has anyone else expirienced less algea with a higher k bulb??

Never heard of that but from what I understand of Cyano, it is a VERY simple organism and there are lots (1000's?) of variants out there... I could see how you had one that needed a different light than the 20k... possible...

JetJumper

Cyano is from outter space :) 

Just curious, anyone else having Cyano issues right now?  I know some started growing in my parents tank, my tank, and a few others.  Seems wierd that its all happening right now.

Bob P

HomerJ

Quote from: JetJumper on April 07, 2011, 11:40:32 AM
Cyano is from outter space :) 

Just curious, anyone else having Cyano issues right now?  I know some started growing in my parents tank, my tank, and a few others.  Seems wierd that its all happening right now.

What is it supposed to look like?  I can't find good pictures of it.  I have 0 "crap" on the sand, but some weird "sheets" of dark red stuff that grows on some of my rocks. 

JetJumper

Quote from: HomerJ on April 07, 2011, 12:39:14 PM
What is it supposed to look like?  I can't find good pictures of it.  I have 0 "crap" on the sand, but some weird "sheets" of dark red stuff that grows on some of my rocks. 

Looks just like that :)  I have it on rocks and sand. 

cn

Quote from: JetJumper on April 07, 2011, 01:19:03 PM

heheheh....that looks nice  :D. Seriously I've been fighting cyano for couple years now and have not very successful. I might have to do the same by cutting light off for few days.

JetJumper

Cyano really love my Gorgonia.  :(  I have to clean the Gorg every few days so that it doesnt' die.

HomerJ

I don't think that's what I have.  Mine looks more like red plate coralline:

http://www.aquariumarts.com/redplatecoralline.jpeg

Hookup

Quote from: JetJumper on April 07, 2011, 01:19:03 PM

GEEVERS!  is this your tank?  That's insane and gross... insoss or maybe it's grosane!

CYANO is a thing that I have been v.lucky with... had it, the standard methods worked, and it's never been back since...

JetJumper

Nope :)  have not had it that bad..  just a random GSI (google searched image)

BOnaqua

My 65W 10K bulb died on my old mushroom tank, it was out for at least 6 months.
Shrooms were blooming. No algae issues. No cyano issues. I did water changes avary 6 months if UI remember, with runnong a skimmer once ot twice a month for couple of hours.

BOnaqua

Cyano is mostly a flow issue. It'l grow where water doesn't move.
Once is settled there, it's little hard to move it. I recomend turkey baster.