New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

new corals, id please

Started by drew675, October 31, 2011, 07:11:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drew675

hey just got a bunch of coral, came with the rock not sure what it is and how to take care of it. The red cabbage looking coral now has a spider web looking mucus thing all over it and is getting smaller in size. Everything else in the tank is getting bigger and looks healthy.

thanks!
-Andrew

Thunda

Looks like a nice piece.  Got some mushrooms, some zoa's and looks like a coco worm as well.  The other piece, if like the one we have. We were told was a type of sponge actually.  Seems to grow in thin plates/fingers.  If it's actually a sponge then if it came in contact with air when it was moved could account for it not being as healthy. 

Darth

yeah you have some polyps feather duster mushrooms and it looks like a some type of leather coral if it is getting a spidery web substance on it, it is prob just shedding its skin provide good flow and give it a few days if it is a leather they are extremely hardy and should bounce back

gerryo

I agree with Thunda that the first pic is a Sponge.  I have an identical one and it is a fantastic grower. 

Got mine from Rybren here on site.  Thanx Jerry.  Started out the size of a Toonie, and now, six months later it is 4 ins. wide by 6 ins long.  Has finger type thingys in the middle that looks like a hand.

Gerry O.

drew675

thanks for the help id'ing them! the spider web stuff i mentioned has now turned to brown algae. I read online that i'm giving the tank too much light. Sound right?
-Andrew

nissannx

more pictures!!! whats your lighting cycle? mines 8on 16 off