New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

HELP! Brain coral being eaten alive

Started by dakrazyone, February 22, 2012, 05:55:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dakrazyone

Something definitely took chunks out of my brain coral, was fine this morning when i checked. Anybody know of any predators?  I only have a sailfin tang, chromis, 2 clowns, a mandarin, aiptasia eating filefish, a pajama cardinal and a blenny.

bt

dakrazyone

he is the most recent addition, i don't see anymore aptasia so maybe looking for a new source of food. ARGHH.  Looks like he had some LPS for lunch as well.

Cheebs

My vote is for the filefish as well. They are hit or miss. I've had a filefish eat a whole bunch of my LPS before.

bt

Quite possibly.  They're a "With Caution" reef-compatible fish, known to sometimes nip at both hard and soft corals.

I'm not sure exactly how likely they are to do that, but it sounds like you definitely got one that does.

dakrazyone

he's so sneaky, this is the type of fishing i don't like, sump it is, hope he doesn't eat all my chaeto lol.

Dakotamay

+1 for the file fish. Known to eat corals once they eat up all the aiptasia.

dakrazyone

finally caught and in the sump, i want JUSTICE maybe i will feed him to my anemonies LOL.

JetJumper

I will take him if you really don't want him!
.: JetJumper's Zone :.

dakrazyone

your more then welcome to have him, i don't know what to feed him in the meantime.

Darth

the one I had would eat frozen and pellets

dakrazyone

nope, this one loves brains aka zombie file fish.

kole18

Whoaaa very expensive meal for filefish thuvy, mine I'd just bought a cbb ate all my aptasia & majano. Too bad once all this food for this it's gone chances to go after your corals like my cbb took a piece of my hydropora.

dakrazyone

yea it sucks, i'm glad i caught him in action before he gobbled it up.  The 2 brains look like their closing up their wounds and look a lot more plump this morning compared to the rocky skeleton last night.  I think it means my tank is well establish and mature enough to allow the corals to recover rapidly. Anywho, congratz to JetJumper on his new filefish  ;D

JetJumper

thats good that they are healing.  I find for me anyways brains and plates are the ones that can really tell you if the system is doing well on how they behave.

I have lots of Aptasia in one of my tanks that I am sure will keep him feeding for a while :)
.: JetJumper's Zone :.