New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Need a ID on a Hitchhicker

Started by DrReefer, March 13, 2012, 06:47:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrReefer

Hey guys !

Got a fish at the LFS last week and when the clerk picked it up from its holding cube he also got a hermit and a few shells. One of the shell had a strage thing growing on it and I have quarantined it till further info is provided

Looks like a anemone but im not 100% sure and have not been able to ID it my self. Any Help would be great !! 

Rybren

I can't tell from the picture.  Can you get a shot from the other side so that there isn't as much shell?
120G Reef

DrReefer

it has been out of the tank and they are all closed up :\

DrReefer

Comon OVAS !! no one has a lead or info on this ID ? :P

JetJumper

not a clue.  I can't tell from the angle the picture was taken from :(
.: JetJumper's Zone :.

Hookup

Nothing here.  It looks more like a snail shell to me but obviously you were able to rule that out on your own.

I can tell you it's not a ballet slipper.   

DrReefer

Well the second pic is the best I think ... you guys dont see the orange base or foot and white / grey tentacles ?!

Malyon18

I think we all see it I just think it is to hard to indentify with certainty due to the numerous critters that have tentacles.
"Friends Don't Let Friends Go Plastic Reef"

Greatwhite

Just reach in, turn the shell around so you can get a head-on picture of it, and then perhaps it'll be easier to get a positive id.

The little bit I can see looks like a majano anemone, which you'll want to remove and destroy before it spreads all over your tank.  They're bad, m'kay?

DrReefer

Quote from: Greatwhite on March 14, 2012, 10:00:19 PM
Just reach in, turn the shell around so you can get a head-on picture of it, and then perhaps it'll be easier to get a positive id.

The little bit I can see looks like a majano anemone, which you'll want to remove and destroy before it spreads all over your tank.  They're bad, m'kay?

They have already been removed from the tank :) Majano is what I think it is... I googled a few pictures and got a positive I'd on it ! The one on your pic is a lot bigger then mine but I found nice pics of smaller ones that are the same as what I got

Thanks a lot guys :D

Dr.