New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

winter blackout measures

Started by ambushman2j, November 06, 2003, 10:07:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ambushman2j

Power went out in barrhaven the other night for a little bit and it got me thinking about the big summer black out, should something like that happen in the winter (and let's face it, with the state of the power generation right now it's quite possible) what are some of the things you can do to save your fish?.. the 2 big problems you will encounter are no filtration and no heat, with the house not heated the water temp will drop quick, given the power being out a extended period (days) there is likely nothing you can do anyways..but say 10-30 hours, what types of things can be done to try and save all our nice fish?

robinserena

My mother bought 5 thick pieces of styrofoam (sp?) and  cut the corners to fit eachother. She only used them once but for sensitive fish this seems to be a good thought ;)

saltydog

At last year's OVAS annual auction I ended up with a battery-powered air pump. I didn't think much of it at the time but a device likely this connected to an airstone would probably be enough to save the occupants of most tanks. Alas! I lost quite a number of my scaley companions during the summer black-out as I was out of town when it occurred.
-thankful for a tankfull-