New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

breeding South American cichlids- the Jack Dempsy

Started by saltydog, February 24, 2003, 02:44:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

saltydog

My Dempsy pair spawned for the first time on some driftwood in a 110 gallon community tank. Right now they have all of the other inhabitants pinned at the top at either end of the tank. This is my first experience with this type of spawn. I should like to intervene & remove them (the other inhabitants). Is this a good idea, or would I be better to move the parents & the driftwood?

In either case, should I add fungicide to the water to reduce the number of eggs which succomb to fungus? Any other recommendations from anyone?

Thanks
Roger
-thankful for a tankfull-

ambushman2j

I don't know how similar jacks are to convicts, as they are from the same region, but in convict breeding, once eggs are layed the pair will defend their nest with their life..they will attack and kill anything that threatens the nest..

none of my convict eggs were lost due to fungus as far as I could tell..

if you are have another place for the other fish I would move them as aposed to moving the jacks and eggs, and I wouldn't bother with funguside, but then this is IF the 2 are infact similar in habits.

dpatte

Quote from: "saltydog"My Dempsy pair spawned for the first time on some driftwood in a 110 gallon community tank........
Roger

Congrats! Thats exciting!

I'd move the other inhabitants. Jack Dempseys wheren't named after the Professional heavyweight boxing champion of the world for nothing! They can get pretty aggressive, especially once the fry start swimming.I'd move the inhabitants.
As for chemicals - avoid them for now.