New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

clampped fins dissappearing fry....overcrowded or murder?

Started by ambushman2j, January 23, 2004, 11:48:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ambushman2j

one of my 10 gallon fry tanks has now twice had this issue, where I see alot of the fry with clamped back fins in a arrow head shape the wrong way, the first time I assumed it was from overcrowding, I had 40+ fry in there .. but this time I only have maybe 15-20 fry and it's happening again, I have already noticed most of my socolofi fry are gone..could it be overcrowding? I don't think so as I have had more fry then that in a 10 gallon before with no trouble, it's a very well established tank with java fern .. I am starting to wonder if maybe my small bushynose pleco is feasting on the fry in the middle of the night ... any other thoughts?

Ron

I don't think you can blame the missing fry directly on the bushynose- I have them in most of my fry tanks. He may however, be responsible for devouring any fry that are already dead of another cause, thus contributing to their "disappearence".

As to the clamped fins, it could be any number of problems - its kind of like us saying, "I'm not feeling well".

Ron

ambushman2j

I am wondering if I should just nuke that particular tank, there's nothing wrong with the fry..I gave half the batch to my nephew and in only 2 short weeks he's got them twice as big as mine and the tank size is the same .. he's feeding alot more then I do.. but he's having no problems where mine aren't growing and are not looking especially well either