New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Anyone got any surefire Infusoria growing tips

Started by Newwhats, March 10, 2003, 07:26:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Newwhats

been searching the net, looking for ways of starting a culture, so any idear's short of the buying a parmecium culture ?

Thanks in advance

pegasus

Here's how I started my culture you can adapt as you go along.
First :I start with aquarium water since it already contains some infusoria.
Two:I microwave spinach, lettuce or any soft green vegetable to breakup the cells and soften it.
Three: I put the vegetables in a small mesh pouch and let them float in the water, the mesh helps keep the water somewhat clean.
Four:Success lays in keeping the water in the warmest posible place, either in direct sunlight or emmersed within another heated aquarium.
Five: Culture is started at least three days before feeding, extraction with an eyedropper directly through the mesh
Six: It will start to smell after about a  week so you might have to find an alternative location for the infusoria tank.
Good luck ! hope this helps
Michel

dpatte

I've had success with aquarum water, and hay. I got a great culture of rotifers and cyclops.

In the previous response it says 'warm as possible' I wouldnt recommend much over 32C (90F)