New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

How much juice does it take to run your tank???

Started by LowKey, March 14, 2003, 04:17:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LowKey

Pumps, lights, filter, Skimmers, the list goes on and on.  I've often wondered what kind of damage an aquarium can do to your Hydro bill . :roll:

Does anyone have an idea?  Post the size, equipment, and estimated electrical cost of running your beloved tank/tanks.  I think it would be really interesting to view.

dpatte

I think lighting and heating are the biggest draws.

200 watts on 12 hours/day adds up
and another 200 at night when the tank cools down.

Greg Turner

To save on heater costs you can buy that stirofoam insulation used for walls.  Cut it into pieces and put it on the back, bottom and possibly sides.  I've heard people do it and apparently it's quite the savings.

Another heater savings is to put the ballasts mounted to the underside of the aquarium.  Ballasts put out lots of heat, this way it may also serve as a substrate heater.

saltydog

Having a glass top on the aquarium will virtually eliminate the cooling effect of evaporation & so reduce heating costs. (During a heat wave one can remove it to help to cool the tank, if required.) A top also has the added benefit of virtually eliminating the need for tank top-offs due to evaporation as well as saving an occasional air-born friend from the experience of flopping around in a waterless environment on your floor.
-thankful for a tankfull-