New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Hard Green Algae

Started by OVAS, December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OVAS

Several other algae type are dealable (brown, brush, etc), but I can't seem to get rid of my hard green algae.  No fish or snails (I think) are eating it.  It seems the only way to get rid of this is a bleech solution.  Anyone have any idea's what to do?  Is it high phosphate (PO4), or nitrate (NO3) doing this?

dpatte

I've been so busy that i think i now have a culture of every known algae type in at least one tank. I have blue-green , green spot, brown, green hair and brown brush. My 137 even has red algae now. Maybe Im not the one to ask for advice  :)

pegasus

Not knowing the fine detail of your problem, here's a page that I find very useful concerning Algae and Algae eating fish.

http://faq.thekrib.com/algae.html#cyano

Michel

dpatte

Actually, someone should head over to my place with a camera and take pictures of the algae. Im not joking. It would make an interesting gallery item, and people could then comment on ways to get rif of each kind, for the benefit of the whole club.

vpilieci

I had a similar problem (on the glass at least) scrubbing just wears out your elbow! I bought a chinese algae scrubber called the Screaming Eagle at SuperPet for $5.00 and its a rubber razor blade on the end of a long stick... the algae on the glass just flakes off and I used to spend hours scrubbing this stuff with pad-like scrubbers.

try it, trust me... good luck.

VP