New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

No more room in your house for another tank? Try this!

Started by saltydog, May 15, 2003, 07:24:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

saltydog

Why not try an outdoor aquarium?

I am starting up a 45 gallon (30"x30"x14") tank outside on my deck this summer. I am planning to grow plants & to keep Malaysian trumpet & Mystery snails, Giant Danios, & possibly amphibians, such as newts.  (I need to buy the newts & Malayasian trumpets if anyone has some available).

A second outdoor project is planned for the front of the house. This is a 300 gallon all-glass tank weighing about 1000 lb. empty (with rocks) & 3000 lb. (filled with water).  I am planning to keep cold water fish here. The plan is to build a  moveable stand incorporating heavy-duty castors & jacks. The tank would be supported by the jacks on fieldstone during the spring, summer, & fall. With the onset of cold weather most of the water would be removed. The tank would then be lowered onto the castors & rolled into the garage & refilled  for over-wintering.

It would be nice to receive posts from anyone who is crazy enough to have tried anything like this.

Roger
-thankful for a tankfull-

Troy

saltydog: Malaysian trumpet  snails are trouble if you do not have them do not add them. They are difficult to get rid of. They breed in very high numbers and do not fall prey to any fish very much. I have one tank that is my breeding tank with lots of java fern and java moss and they cover a large part of the substrate. If you really... want some give me your address and I will mail you some in a small jar. Cheers..... Troy.

dpatte

My concern about an outdoor tank is algae. I would suggest many many algae eaters (simese, chinese, otocats, and plecos)

Troy

saltydog: I just read a great article on out door ponds in tropical fish hobbyist /march 2003  by Olive Winterwood. Called "taking the plunge" page66. check it out. very informative, good luck..... Tony.