New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Discus & shrimp

Started by Corydelrey, April 27, 2020, 12:07:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corydelrey

Has anyone successfully kept them together ?
In my case it would be cherry shrimp.
I have a pretty heavily planted tank with tons of moss and hiding places. The shrimp population is pretty established but I'm going to wait a bit longer.
I've read so much on it,  it's been years since I've had discus but when I did I didn't have shrimp or plants.
My idea would be to have the population strong with lots of hiding places so when the discus come , losing some won't be a big issues?

lucius

I don't have discus but I put in about nine honey gourami's in my 75 gallon and I'm fairly certain they decimated my cherry shrimp population.  I put in zucchini slices every few days for the cherry shrimp and the slices used to be covered in shrimp even when the lights are on.  Now I only see a few shrimp and I have to place the slices in the plants so the shrimp aren't in the open.

barefoot_golfer

Sorry for the late reply, just finished setup COVID19 manufacturing facility.

I had an established 220G planted tank with (+100) Cherry and (+6) Amino shrimp than slowly introduced (5) Blue Diamond Discus.
Didn't lose alot of shrimp but didn't bait em with supplementary food to tease them out into the open only to be snipped by Discus.

Hope it helps
Ron