New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

breeding & territory

Started by ambushman2j, May 24, 2003, 09:28:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ambushman2j

if you have fish breeding on a somewhat regular basis, would changing the formations in the tank cause them to stop breeding and obviously re-form their territories?.. I have not seen much attempts at breeding in this particular  tank which I re-did.. I am wondering if the setup is not adequite for breeding or if it will just take some time for them to re-establish territory and try again..thoughts..comments?

Troy

ambushman2j : The cichlids need a flat surface rock/cave, big enough to circle each other and mate in safty. That is why often they will clear out substrate and clean a place on/behind a rock. The biggest factor I find is water quality. My cichlids often breed after water changes. The change in ph or temp seems to set them off. You also need to keep the lights on. If they are in the dark they go to sleep. Good feedings of brine shrimp also seem to keep them in a happy and healthy state. Diet is also a factor, I think. Try a few more water changes and give them some frozen brine shrimp. Hope this helps..... Troy.

ambushman2j

well, I know all that..that's how I get them to breed..I find actually they seem to like to breed on rocks which are at a 45 degree angle.  but have since stopped trying to breed since I moved all the rocks around, I am thinking perhaps the prime breeding locations I provided them are too open