New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

water flow

Started by Troy, May 27, 2003, 10:24:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Troy

My question is one I have been arguing/debating with my pal Richard. We both have success in our tanks and both keep cichlids. The debate is over water flow from our filters. We both have AC 500's on our 55 gal tanks. Now most authors I have read recommend over filtering for Cichlids and I have followed this. The bigger the filter the faster the water flow. I have at times used power heads to move water in dead spots in the tank so waste does not build up. My friend turns down the flow and has a very calm and slow water flow. He does not clean his sponges well and does all that he can to slow the flow (sponge on intake 2 inside filter...etc.). I like the high water turn over, air agitation and use the power head. I have a better setup for my Cichlids I think. The other difference is I also have more rockwork than he does. So the debate goes on. I am looking for other opinions on this topic, Hopefully to convince him to turn up the flow. Or... should I turn down my water flow. What do you recommend and why? Cheers..... Troy.

Marc

My opinion is that water flow is good.  As long as the water flow is not so high so that the fish are always fighting it.

Planted tanks however do best with less water flow.  It's especially important not to disturb the surface of the water as that releases the CO2  that  the plants need.

Marc

ambushman2j

I go with alot of rocks and not too much flow.. I found too much flow discouraged breeding..I try and make it so there's no dead spots but not too much flow either

vpilieci

Hey Troy, you get around huh? Or are you really trying to get enough evidence to trash your friend? This is posted in a few other forums, so I guess you are going to take it to him.

As I replied in another forum, I don't think you should try and force your opinon on anyone that has a working system. But yes, generally speaking, increased water flow is good.

Troy

vpilieci : I try to get as big a conscientious as I can,and yes I want to convince my friend to try things a little differently. Thanks..... Troy.