New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Java Moss/Java Fern/Bushynose pleco's

Started by ambushman2j, June 02, 2003, 09:53:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ambushman2j

Where's a good place to get these 3 items?  I was hoping to get some at the last auction but, alas there was no auction.. I am looking to plantate (don't know if that's actually a word) my cichlid tanks, I was told these 2 plants tent not to be ripped to shreads, are there any others?.. also anyone have a male bushynose pleco they are looking to unload? will pay the big $$$ for a quality one

on a side note, I am looking to unload 7-10 chipokes, m & f one breeder f if anyone is interested.

Troy

ambushman2j : Try and get" Anubias nana" or It is also called" Dwarf Anubias". This is a great plant for Cichlid tanks / I have it in allmost all of my tanks. This plant will not get eaten by Cichlids or most other fish. Anubias is a very tuff plant, has great color (dark green leaves) and is best if put in a pot or tied to a rock. Cheers ..... Troy.

dpatte

the verb is "to plant a tank". i am looking 'to plant my cichlid tanks'.

grammar police 8)

ambushman2j

see, this post does not get me java fern... :(

Poustic

Hello,

I was at Ottawa Aquatics (//www.ottawaaquatics.com) last night and the fellow had some java fern available, as well as a multitude of other plants.  He was very kind and knowledgeable and specializes in importing aquarium plants.  He operates his business from his home so you need to call him first (266-2821).  I also saw some java fern at Big Al's in Kanata a couple of weeks ago.

dpatte

The best prices for plants in town are always at the OVAS auctions.

ambushman2j

Hmm, I was just at big als in Kanata..tho I do not really know what java fern even looks like, if someone there would have actually helped me maybe I could have asked.. it's quite vexing when you go to a store and the staff seems to actually be avoiding you

Poustic

Java fern:
http://www.thekrib.com/Plants/Plants/M-pteropus-emersed.jpg
http://www.ottawaaquatics.com/item344.htm

If you do a google search for java fern, you'll find many many more pictures.

I find that week nights are usually not too bad for getting service at Big Al's.  Try asking for Andrew.  The java fern there was in the first or second tank at the bottom, in the very first row of tanks on the right hand side of the fish room.  Some of it was attached to a large piece of wood.

ambushman2j

andrew was there when I was there..I think I just have an evil look about me, I do not know.. anyways, yes I did see that there..I didn't think that was it tho, why would that be able to survive in an african tank while others would not?