New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Algea eater in my cichlid tank

Started by spotted_gecko, June 11, 2003, 04:43:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spotted_gecko

I need to know a good hardy algea eater for my cichlid tank, plecos get killed no matter what the size it seems, the cichlids aren't even that big. Their mixed african cichlids.

Any suggestions?
Thanks

ambushman2j

what type of pleco's are you buying? bushy nose pleco's should not be getting killed in an african tank..nor should a large pleco either tho..

spotted_gecko

i've just been putting big pleco's in, about 5" ones.  my cichlids are only about 3 " right now. so i'm having trouble understanding why they're getting killed as well. I'm also having trouble finding bushy nose's, no one in my area seems to be carrying them.

ambushman2j

The best place to get bushy nose pleco's is at auctions or get a store to special order them for you

vpilieci

I hate this mixed cichlid crap that LFS's pull! Have you figured out what type of fish you have? Because if the store (Wal-mart is the worst for this) has mixed south american with african cichlids you will have a bigger problem than your pleco in a few months.  

As for algae eaters I have two chinese algae eaters (Gyrincheilos aymonieri) and they keep the fish in check. They are fast enough to run for cover when my Venustus tries to give chase and they are tough enough to fight back when my Zebra backs them into a corner. I have not had any problems with them. Just to keep your options open you could also look into Syno's (Synodontis alberti), many cichlid keepers keep these with their fish w/o problems.

First things first, ID your fish.

good luck.

VP

Marc

I've also had bushynose plecos get killed by african cichlids.  The bushynose plecos were about 1.5 inches long and the cichlids (haplochromis "flameback" & haplochromis sp. 44) were 2 to 3 inches long.

I now have Synodontis robbianus and  Synodontis eupterus ... they've done wery well with the cichlids.

You can look up the catfish at http://www.planetcatfish.com

Also, I have to agree with vpilieci, ID your cichlids and learn more about them before you add any other fish to the tank.

Marc

spotted_gecko

Thanks for the info, it's frustrating when trying to pick un-identified fish. i have a few identified. I'll definately look into the Syno's.
Thanks again

Troy

spotted_gecko : A good hardy algea eater for your cichlid tank would be "The algae eater" Gyrinocheilus aymonieri . This Algae eater is from Thailand, is the only popular aquarium fish in the single genus in this family.
Algae Eater is a sucking catfish, using its sucking disc in the eating process and also for anchorage in the rapidly flowing water of the streams in which it lives. Most fish breath by taking water in through their mouth. The Algae Eater takes water in through a slit between the edge and base of its lips all around its mouth.
Algae Eaters are vegetarians. They are generaly kept in aquariums to eat algae off the glass sides and off decorations. They may also feed as scavengers on the dead bodies of other fish. When young, Algae Eaters are peaceful; older ones may fight each other and also attack any other fish that moves slowly. About one out of five develops this habit. If they release their hold on another fish, a circular red spot is left where the disc was attached. This may become infected. Isolate these undesirable Algae Eaters, or try feeding them more. Increasing the amount of light in the aquarium will encorage the growth of more algae. They like basic water at about 77 degrees f. They grow to 8 inches. "Source (B. Halstead and B. Landa )" I have 2 or 3 in each of my 7 Cichlid tanks and have no algae problems. They are also a cheep catfish, only a few dollars each. Hope this helps. Cheers..... Tony.