New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Too much GSP?

Started by vonG, January 24, 2012, 03:10:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vonG

is it possible or harmful to have too many green star polyps in a tank?

I started with a decent size hunk around 4" square. Now, it's expanded onto three other rocks and expanding at a pretty rapid rate.
I'm assuming it's healthy as hell based on the growth rate.

A duncan on one side and a Stony coral of some sort on the other are keeping it from getting too wide, but now it's starting to grow upwards.

Some refer to GSP as poverty coral. I kinda like it.
Any risk in letting it grow the way it wants in my 29g?

cheers.

brotherluv

Poverty coral lol...kinda like pork chops being poverty steaks!  Lol. I like the GSP too!  I guess we're poor lol by other peoples standards.

Cheebs

I don't see any risk in having lots of it if that's what you like. The only risk is that if it spreads enough it may aggresively try to outgrow the corals around it. I have seen tanks where the back walls are completely covered in the stuff, and it isn't harmful.

kole18

I don't have gsp but sure I do have a pulsing Xenia which is like gsp it spread crazy all over your tank, I'd just bought a frag frm mscape didn't know there's a Xenia a small branches found out its taking all over my frag plug but seems not harming the prostrata frag just this Xenia grew really fast:)

Feivel

I have an 11 lbs rock COVERED in GSP. not quite as nice as yours. mines more grass like not as "plastic" looking as yours. It's starting to spread on the glass. it hasn't seemed to transdfer to the next rock beside it yet. it's been up for almost a year now. i enjoy it. it is starting to grow upwards.

how long have you had it for?

Hookup

Quote from: Chubs on January 24, 2012, 03:36:43 PM
I don't see any risk in having lots of it if that's what you like. The only risk is that if it spreads enough it may aggresively try to outgrow the corals around it. I have seen tanks where the back walls are completely covered in the stuff, and it isn't harmful.

This has been my experience.  good stuff, good looking, nice movement, but its aggressive and nothing i've owned has been able to keep it in check.... (ok, nothing that' ive tried to grow near it anyhow)

my advise is grow it on islands surrounded by sand so you can keep it confined... 

kole18

Hookup is right try to grew it 1 area that hasn't surround w/any corals. My buddy used to grow this gsp in his 90g it's like the bg of his tank or frag it & sell it maybe $10 per frag :)

yellowtang

I used to have a very very large rock full of GSP that grew out a shell I bought
from someone a while back, however I lost it all for some odd reason >:(
this is another coral which thrives at some tanks and fails at others. :'(
120g REEF Upgrading to a 180g soon
38G REEF

barabe

Quote from: kole18 on January 24, 2012, 08:44:57 PM
Hookup is right try to grew it 1 area that hasn't surround w/any corals. My buddy used to grow this gsp in his 90g it's like the bg of his tank or frag it & sell it maybe $10 per frag :)

OMG - I used to sell frags for $2 ea...

kole18

It depends on the size of each pcs, I've seen people selling those $25 for decent size of frag, oh well good for yah selling $2 a frag :)

target

Hey,
I used to grow GSP and Xenia but they both stopped growing when I got my Toadstool Leather ...  ;) of course now its all over the place.

Sharbuckle

I agree 100% with Hookup. I love GSP but if you want to keep it under control take his advice.

Lockpick

Yep keep it on an island. And keep an eye on it. Even tho it's on the sand bed on a rock it will grow over the sand so trimming it is a good idea. I used to just give pieces to people since I had way to much.