New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

What is this?... And is it good?

Started by sylros, January 29, 2012, 12:02:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sylros

Hi,

A few days back I bought some live rock and a frag with zoos from my LFS. After a day or two, I noticed that both contained hitch hikers - fortunately, I had them in a quarantine tank. I'd be interested to know what these hitch hikers are and what should be done with them.

One of them is some kind of anemone (the brown one [IMG_0395]) - I know this as it's done several laps of the tank.

I'd like confirmation that IMG_0390 is Aiptasia. Would the correct course of action to be to add some Peppermint shrimp or Berghia Nudibranch.

The last hitch hiker is a bit of a mystery [IMG_0404]. It looks like some kind of white branching tree, although on a smaller scale :) The fan worm to the left of it should give you an idea of scale.

Thanks for your help.

Cheebs

The first picture is a pest anemone known as Mojano. I would advise getting rid of it as soon as you can. There are a few different ways you can do that, much like the getting rid of aiptasia. I'm not quite sure if peppermint shrimp eat mojano anemones or not, but there are other ways.

The second pic is definitely aiptasia. Peppermint shrimp would probably do the job, and they work better is small groups.

As for the third one, I have no idea!

Greatwhite

I've been told that the 3rd pic is some kind of white sponge...  Harmless filter feeder...

sylros

Thanks everyone for your super quick replies... it's a good thing that they are in qt...will get right on it!

Keep you ideas coming for getting rid of the pest anemone.

Thanks!

tophoo

I've had the mojano in my tank before, and let me tell ya, they're a pain in my butt.  But, I did manage to zap them.  Don't try to pull them out as you might not get all of it and will reproduce like rabbits! What I did was put some vinegar in a syringe and then jab them in the mouth. It worked pretty good since I don't have any in my tank anymore.

Good luck

sylros

Thanks for that tip. Done it and it appears to have done the trick as I can't see them anymore. Will wait a little bit longer just to be sure.