New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

So I got a little carried away

Started by Muad'Dib, February 12, 2021, 10:52:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Muad'Dib

Well I finally got my Isolation tank cycled and ready for fish. So what do I go and do? ... Buy all the fish I want at once.
Needless to say, I'm now at the point when my Isolation tank will be overcrowded while I work on getting the main tank finished.

Sooo.. I bought a second isolation tank yesterday. (That's a story in itself... I thought I was buying a 13.5 gal Fluval EVO X2 tank... brand new in box. That's not what I found when I opened the box. it was just a plain Tetra 10 Gal kit that I could have bought at Walmart for $50.
Needless to say I was not happy... seller would not take it back, but we did come to an agreement when he refunded me the bulk of my $180 and I ended up paying retail for the tank.... next time I open the box at the sellers door to confirm... mea culpa...

Anyway back to Isolation tank 2.0... I managed to set it up got some extra filtration on it,
The tank came with a Tetra Whisper 2-10 Internal Power filter --- in my opinion woefully inadequate for filtration. so I've added a small external Media Reactor chamber with sponge filters, nylon pot scrubbers, activated carbon and Phosphate Minus.

I want to seed the Bio filtration with media from the other tank, so I think I might actually swap power filters.
Put the Tetra whisper 2-10 on the first isolation tank, because it has a large Media Reactor chamber already cycled on it and then move the AquaTop PF-25-UV to the new 10 gal. This has cycled filter pad in it so this should speed up the cycling of the new Media Reactor.

I'm also using  Tetra's SafeStart Plus and SeaChem's Stability to speed up cycling.

Wish me luck.....

Dean

50 Gal Main aquarium w/ 40gal sump for filtration - Currently housing 19 cichlids.
4 - Labidochromis caeruleus - Electric Yellow Labs
5  - Cynotilapia Afra White Top "Hara Reef"
4 - Aulonocara sp. "OB " - Orange Blotch Peacock Cichlid
3 - Protomelas taeniolatus (Likoma Is.) Tangerine Tiger Cichlid
3 - Otopharynx Lithobates (Zimbawe Rock) - Aristo Yellow Blaze Cichlid
12 Gal grow tank - 40 + OB Peacock, Electric Yellow Labs, Hara Reef Afras Fry + maybe a Yellow Blaze Litho Fry or 2

Muad'Dib

So just a little update. Placed a curb side pickup order with Big Al's, and pickup up a new HOB filter. SeaChem Tidal 55. (Nice filter) Put that on Isolation tank 1.0 and moved the already seeded AquaTop PF25-UV to Isolation Tank 2.0 and got rid of the stupid little Tetra 2-10 internal filter.  Both still have the Media Reactors.
Can't wait to pick up my fish tomorrow!! Chemistry in both tanks is spot on. And to help prevent an ammonia overdose in the new tank I'm using Fritz Zyme 7.  (Thanks Charlie!!) and still using daily low doses of SeaChem Stability.

50 Gal Main aquarium w/ 40gal sump for filtration - Currently housing 19 cichlids.
12 Gal grow tank - 40 + OB Peacock, Electric Yellow Labs, Hara Reef Afras Fry + maybe a Yellow Blaze Litho Fry or 2

WavePusher

Good luck, I hope it works out for you!

Muad'Dib

Quote from: WavePusher on March 05, 2021, 02:53:40 PM
Good luck, I hope it works out for you!

Thanks!! 
Actually things are going very well right now.  I have all the fish in the one 12 gal isolation tank, with tons of filtration.
Water chemistry is perfect, with the exception of my Nitrate (NO3) I'm running at about 40ppm even after a 5 gal water change. But that's to be expected with this many fish in a low volume of water. Fortunately I don't think that will be for too much longer.  I think I have finally accumulated all the parts I need to get water in the 50 gal tank. Just need to silicone to mount the last baffle in the sump. That should be this week.