New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Crinium thainium question

Started by artw, August 03, 2006, 10:01:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

artw

look at me with all the questions lately. Aren't you guys glad I got fish again?

While I was cutting out my difformis and doing the biweekly big-lotus-leaf-chopoff I noticed my thainium plant was really thick and coiled along the surface of the water. so I pulled it out and grabbed a tape measure and the leaves are over 4 feet long !   :o  so can I cut them half way?  what should I do?  could I just leave them?  It doesnt really block a lot of light and the angelfish like hiding under the leaves.

[attachment deleted by admin]

babblefish1960

Leave them to coil, the angels love this, and may even choose them to spawn upon. Cutting the leaves halfway just ends up making it ugly, if it really gets thick, and you don't like it, remove the oldest, longest leaves at the base of the plant.

If it becomes truly annoying, you could always remove it and consider selling it to someone more deserving, such as succinctfish, her angels spawn on this stuff all the time.

Nice plant by the way.

succinctfish

Quote from: babblefish1960 on August 04, 2006, 12:07:23 AM
Leave them to coil, the angels love this, and may even choose them to spawn upon. Cutting the leaves halfway just ends up making it ugly,

I have trimmed this plant back to transfer to another tank, and the plant is fine with it, so prune fearlessly Art.  The angelfish only spawn on the vertical surfaces anyway, so it made no difference to them.

Perhaps you should put a glove over that green thumb to shield it from the plants for awhile  :D

artw

teehee thanks B. :)  I'll see how the lighting levels are once I install my other 2 bulbs tonight.  I'll probably just leave it alone. it looks cool :)

adam_ottawa

Sorry for jacking but I got the same framed print at home as you do Art.

artw

oh did you buy a car from Dow Honda as well (they gave me that as an xmas gift after I bought the car)

adam_ottawa

Haha...no I got it as a departure gift from my job about 4 years ago.