New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Which plant fertilizer should I get?

Started by Adam, May 14, 2007, 06:20:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adam

I'm looking to buy some PMDD to throw into my aquarium to balance the light and CO2 out a little.  I'm just a little confused as to which I would like to get.  I have the carbon from the CO2, and the lights.  I need NPKs and micros.  Which product should I be getting? 

http://www.aquariumfertilizer.com/store/aquaticplantfood.php

Is the 'PMDD pre-mix' everything I would want as a one stop shop for ferts?  I was looking to get some tabs and the fertilizers.  Is there any better place to get this?  Thanks.

Adam
150 Gallon Mbuna: 2 M. baliodigma, 5 Ps. sp. "Deep Magunga", 3 L. caeruleus, 3 Ps. demasoni, 1 P. Spilotonus 'Albino Taiwan Reef', 2 C. afra "Cobue", 2 Ancistrus sp.-144, 5 Ps. Acei, 1 Albino Ancistrus spp. L-144, Various fry

20 Gallon Long Reef: 1 Gramma melacara, 1 Pseudocheilinus hexataenia, 2 Lysmata amboinensis, 2 Lysmata wurdemanni, snails, hermits, crabs, mushrooms, SPS, rare zoanthids, palythoas, ricordea, favites, cloves, acans, candycanes leathers

charlie

Adam , you can get your NPK & trace mix from Upper Valley Hydroponics ,
Upper Valley Hydroponics
Address : 3-46 Antares Drive, Nepean, ON K2E 7Z1
Telephone : 613-224-4769
Regards

Adam

Testing my nitrates now, seems to be about 10mg/L.  PO4 is low because of a nagging problem of green spot algae. 

Errol, do you know whether the NPK and trace from the hydroponics store and the aquarium website are one and the same?  The website doesn't work, but maybe I can call them tomorrow.

Adam
150 Gallon Mbuna: 2 M. baliodigma, 5 Ps. sp. "Deep Magunga", 3 L. caeruleus, 3 Ps. demasoni, 1 P. Spilotonus 'Albino Taiwan Reef', 2 C. afra "Cobue", 2 Ancistrus sp.-144, 5 Ps. Acei, 1 Albino Ancistrus spp. L-144, Various fry

20 Gallon Long Reef: 1 Gramma melacara, 1 Pseudocheilinus hexataenia, 2 Lysmata amboinensis, 2 Lysmata wurdemanni, snails, hermits, crabs, mushrooms, SPS, rare zoanthids, palythoas, ricordea, favites, cloves, acans, candycanes leathers

charlie

Yes they are,regarding your green spot algae you should actualy raise your PO4 instead of lowering it.
Regards

Adam

Quote from: charlie on May 14, 2007, 06:55:52 PM
Yes they are,regarding your green spot algae you should actualy raise your PO4 instead of lowering it.
Regards

Didn't get your PM until now.  I mentioned my PO4 was low to show that adding them via fertilizers wouldn't produce an algae outbreak like dan suggested.

Adam

charlie

Quote from: dan2x38 on May 14, 2007, 10:13:45 PM
You said to raise PO4? Everything I've read & researched says to keep it low. I do keep it low and my algae is almost zero. One tank were PO4 is 1.0 I got to watch the algae carefully.
Hi Dan , check this site out, i have little to no, green spot algae issues & i dose phosphates.
http://rexgrigg.com/Algae1.html
Regards

Adam

So, I won't have access to Antares Dr. until who knows when (no car), so I would like to buy it online. 

It seems as though the PMDD + CSM+B doesn't include potassium phosphate.  I would have to add that as well.  As someone who doesn't really want to buy 7 lbs of different products plus their shipping, would the PMDD + CSM+B and potassium phosphate be ideal?  I can get the KH2PO4 at work :).  I doubt I will need a lot.  Will I have issues with this mix or will it work well? 

I just want something proper to dose.  I've been dosing infrequently some terrestrial plant ferts from miracle gro... It contains urea and creates some algae.

Adam

BigDaddy

Adam

Your fert schedule is going to be based on the size of you tank plus what kind of lighting you have as well as how heavily planted it is

All you need it KNO3, KH2PO4, K2SO4 and a trace mix - all of which you can get from any hydroponics store in town.

Adam

Snagged some potassium phosphate dibasic today.  K2HPO4.  It buffers at a higher pH than KH2PO4.  I will see about potassium sulfate and snagging some of that as well.  The trace mix and stump remover I will have to visit one of the hydroponics stores for. 

Adam