New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Moving planted tanks

Started by alacroix, September 19, 2007, 10:27:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alacroix

I am moving shortly and looking for advice on moving my tanks: a 90g and a 20g fully planted and full of fish, shrimps and mts.  The tanks are healthy and beautiful and I want them exactly the same after the move.  Is there an article on how to do it efficiently and effectively.  Please advise.

BigDaddy

If you can do it, you would be the first.

You can't leave the plants in the gravel, without the water they will droop or uproot themselves under their own weight.

As far as protecting the plants during the move; after you uproot them, place them in layers of wet newspaper.  It will keep them from drying out until you can plant them again, and is much easier to move than bags of water.

fischkopp

If you are not moving too far - lets say an hour or two away - you can risk to leave the 20gal as is. Just get the fish out, leave a little water in the tank and wrap it in plastic so everything stays humid. But you may already need two people to move the tank. Its probably easier to tear it down though ...

For the 90gal you will have no choice - its way too heavy to move it around with gravel. Use it as a chance to redecorate your tank  ;)

You can still use bags for plants; they dont need to be filled with water. Just keep them moist and avoid drying them out.
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

kennyman

Root prune before replanting aswell.