New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Plant Substrate Colour

Started by xiaan, October 16, 2007, 12:46:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xiaan

My 55G came with very coarse substrate so I am looking a getting something more suitable for plants. Most plant substrates I have seen are very dark, since the room where the tank is is dark to, I was looking for a natural white to light brown/beige. Is there any substrates suitable for plants out there in that colour? or do i have to layer the plant substrate with a fine gravel or sand in a suitable colour?

Also how much do I need? for 1-2" bed of substrate, I was thinking I need around 50lb of it?

artw

sounds about right for a 55.
We have nice new substraights at big als.  I highly recommend Flourite but its dark brown/reddish.

Zoe

Quote from: xiaan on October 16, 2007, 12:46:49 PM
My 55G came with very coarse substrate so I am looking a getting something more suitable for plants. Most plant substrates I have seen are very dark, since the room where the tank is is dark to, I was looking for a natural white to light brown/beige. Is there any substrates suitable for plants out there in that colour? or do i have to layer the plant substrate with a fine gravel or sand in a suitable colour?

Also how much do I need? for 1-2" bed of substrate, I was thinking I need around 50lb of it?

You can use whatever colour you want... the reason that many people go with dark is that a lot of plant substrates (fluorite, eco-complete) are dark, and because dark is a more natural river-like color, and because it's much easier to clean. With beige or white, you see every speck of poop and dirt.
So don't discount the dark color just yet... but if you're into light, go for it. You'll likely not be able to find a plant substrate in a light colour, but just use a couple root tabs and some fetilizer and the plants'll be fine.

50lb minimum, but possibly enough.  The more, the better, as it's hard to keep your plants rooted in only 1" of substrate.

fischkopp

The color doesnt matter at all for growing plants, its personal choice. I like dark (black) substrates as it promotes the colors of fish and plants better. Dont forget that the light fixture can make the tank quite bright, adding a light colored substrate makes it even brighter. The eco stuff and fluorite are great, but not cheap.

The gravel size does matter. You dont want it too coarse as the plants cannot root well (especially small plants with fine root), but you dont want it too fine (very fine sand) either as it can become too compact. I think anything between 1-3mm is the best.
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

sdivell

actually the best part about dark substrates and backgrounds is that the green of yours plants just POP and make the tank look super bright with the lights on!...

xiaan

Quote from: sdivell on October 16, 2007, 01:55:43 PM
actually the best part about dark substrates and backgrounds is that the green of yours plants just POP and make the tank look super bright with the lights on!...

I think I might be convinced to go with the red Flourite or a dark gravel

Quote from: Zoe on October 16, 2007, 01:08:24 PM
50lb minimum, but possibly enough.  The more, the better, as it's hard to keep your plants rooted in only 1" of substrate.

I probably start with 75lb that will give a good base.
Flourite 75lb ~= 5 x 15lb($23) bag = $115
or
Fine substrate 75lb = 3 x 25lb bag ($22) = $66
Looks like the Flourite is going to be about twice as expensive I might reconsider as I am kinda on a budget for this tank.

charlie

Quote from: xiaan on October 16, 2007, 02:05:15 PM

I think I might be convinced to go with the red Flourite or a dark gravel

I probably start with 75lb that will give a good base.
Flourite 75lb ~= 5 x 15lb($23) bag = $115

Awesome price , is that local, if it`s on line did you factor in shipping $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

xiaan

It is on sale at BA online

http://www.bigalsonline.ca/BigAlsCA/ctl3664/cp18061/si1317272/cl0/seachemflourite7kgred

Nope I did not factor in shipping it would probably add to the price

xiaan

Shipping would be about $35
How much is flourite usually?

charlie

Quote from: xiaan on October 16, 2007, 02:26:52 PM
It is on sale at BA online

http://www.bigalsonline.ca/BigAlsCA/ctl3664/cp18061/si1317272/cl0/seachemflourite7kgred

Nope I did not factor in shipping it would probably add to the price
In a big way , you might be far better off to get it local @ Big Als  considering the fact that you get 15% off as a OVAS member.
Regards

Glouglou

You can try to find some Soilmaster or Turface (better CEC), Same baked clay and cost lot less than Flourite...

CEC of Flourite
CEC = 1.7 me./100g
pH = 5.5

CEC of Turface
CEC = 29.8 me./100g
pH = 6.2

kennyman

Isn't the flourite amended with laterite though?

Glouglou

I don't know about Laterite be mix with Flourite. It Make some sens if you want to add Iron to your Soil. My next tank will be a mix of generally Turface (for is high CEC) mix with a small amount of soilmaster (mostly for color and some CEC) and Laterite in small amount to release small amount of iron to the soil all that on one inch of a mix of clay, soil, sand, calcite, laterite and some peat moss...

xiaan

Well we ended up going with 50Lbs of used substrate (Thanks Ormarr) And one bag (15lbs) of Flourite.  I would have liked to go all Flourite but I am trying to do this tank on a budget.

dan2x38

Quote from: xiaan on October 22, 2007, 10:32:48 AM
Well we ended up going with 50Lbs of used substrate (Thanks Ormarr) And one bag (15lbs) of Flourite.  I would have liked to go all Flourite but I am trying to do this tank on a budget.

Budgets are great but sometimes cheap ends up expensive... at the very least more work later...
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

babblefish1960

You're doing fine xiaan, some flourite is fine enough, it does not need to be the substrate, there is nothing wrong with an amended substrate, I do it all the time with great success.

xiaan

Quote from: dan2x38 on October 22, 2007, 10:39:09 AM
Budgets are great but sometimes cheap ends up expensive... at the very least more work later...

our budget is around $600 for the tank setup
So far we have spent:
$325 55G Tank, Stand, Heater, Filter Fluval 404, 30' python, and Rena 400 Air Pump
$50 Substrate
$170 Lighting from J&L Aquatics ( Missed DarkDep post   :'( )

To get:
$35 Glass tops
~$30 driftwood & rocks
Lots of plants  ;D

Zoe

Increase your driftwood budget, it's expensive stuff. If you want a mounted piece expect to pay at least 50$ for a medium sized piece.  If you just want pieces of mopani or malaysian driftwood (try malaysian - it's lighter, cheaper and IMO nicer) a large piece will come out to 20-30$ and you'll probably want 2 or 3 pieces. 

dan2x38

Quote from: xiaan on October 22, 2007, 10:58:18 AM

~$30 driftwood & rocks
Lots of plants  ;D

I got 2 nice rocks if you want their yours, if your heading to the meeting let me know I'll bring them for you or come by 1 day for them... when your ready for your set-up let me know will give you some clippings to get started with... have to post some pics...
Voltaire:
"I may not agree with what you have to say,
but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

xiaan

I am probably good for rocks right now I am planning on putting in one or two large smooth rocks from I have collected (they are about 6" and are pink granite). I think I am also good for plants for now (Thanks Errol) As I am planning on braking down my 10G and my GF's (Oceanne) 25G tanks and putting the plants from those tanks in the 55G tank.