New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

ground cover plants with low-lightning.

Started by Abedz, July 17, 2009, 04:29:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abedz

Hello ..

Alright so here's whats going on ... 90 gallons. Corallife 2x65 watts (FOR NOW)  this gives me approx 1.5watts per gallon... black Eco-complete 2" .. tank cycling since a month. BUT, no CO2 to add to the tank. not before a couple of months.

i'll be working on it this sunday... i'll be adding java, anubias, crispus, crypt, Vals and some driftwoods. But, i want to have a some ground cover ! anyone tried having some groun cover with no CO2 or high lightning. if success please inform me of the name.

Am also kinda confused about ferts and what they exactly do... anyone has a good link ? (ill be buying the report charlie recommended, but for now anything else?).

In the future i'll be adding co2 and stronger lighting.
Thank you

Consigliere

With low light and no CO2 I don't think you will have much success with ground cover.

If in future you are planning pressurized CO2 then I would propose going DIY CO2 in between and trying.  I have read of people successfuly growing HC, Glosso under lower light (less than 2WPG) but CO2 was ideal for plants and ferts regime was well established.

Ranalisma rostrata is a nice grass plant that will carpet very quickly with runners but it will get to be about 4-5" tall.  I am currently growing it in a 10G with minimal DIY CO2 addition but higher light.  It has a bit of a reddish/brown tint to it when fertilized correctly which is a nice contrast in some tanks and provides a unique look for ground cover.

fischkopp

Your light isn't all that low, I would consider your current setup as medium light intensity.

I had good success growing Marsilea hirsuta and Lilaeopsis brasiliensis under similar conditions. The more light they have the faster and more dense/compact they grow though.

Without CO2 you might have get the problem that algae grow just as fast as your plants.
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

Abedz

yeah everybody brings that algea bloom up , but isn't there a solution for it ??

Jeff1192

The problem of the algae bloom is that without CO2 and under higher light your plants are limited in their growth by the lack of CO2. This allows the algae to take hold and thrive. I was at about that same amount of light in my 90 gallon before introducing CO2 and had all sorts of algae problems. There just wasn't enough CO2 in the water for my plants to thrive but there was enough light for the algae to grow! About a year ago I upped my lights and added pressurized CO2 to my set-up. Once I ironed out initial fertilizer dosing issues I had no algae issues (well almost no algae issues  ;D  ). 

As for fertilizers take a look at barrreport.com. There is a ton of great information on that site about aquatic plants, fertilizing and more.

Jeff
17 Gallon Seapora Crystal:: Cherry shrimp and red crystal shrimp

90 Gallon:: p. acei itunji, p. elongatus chewere, p. Saulosi, cyno zebroides jalo reef

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
                        - George Orwell

Abedz

but i hear alot of people having bigger tanks .... planted, no co2 and a low light fixture as well... but with no algea booms, i've been told some use ferts.

Jeff1192

Oh it would definitely work....you just have to figure out what level of lights to use that will give you enough light for low light plant growth without bringing you to a point where the plants need that extra CO2.

The set-up I had, before CO2, was definitely too much light.

Jeff
17 Gallon Seapora Crystal:: Cherry shrimp and red crystal shrimp

90 Gallon:: p. acei itunji, p. elongatus chewere, p. Saulosi, cyno zebroides jalo reef

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"
                        - George Orwell

Abedz

alright so lets say i decide not to have this *fully* green tank but rather more driftwood to show, but still have ferns and anubias vals moss ect here and there.... but with only one bulb on (65 watts) ... or both for 6-8 hours daily ... would that also be considered a cause for an algea bloom ?

sorry am asking alot ... but i follow the say "ask alot for fewer mistakes"...

lvrt43

ELEOCHARIS PARVULA (dwarf hairgrass)

It will grow in very low lighting and no fertilizer. Grows about 2" high. Excellent foreground cover or carpet.
Both Big Al's are sold out or don't stock it. East end has put some on order for next week.

I would like some now. Does anybody have any?

Don't let anybody tell you there's no such plant that grows without bright light or CO2!
Do your own research and prove them wrong.

MalawiCich

Hey lvrt43,

I found some dwarf hairgrass at Petsmart (of all places) and planted in my low-medium light 72 gallon tank...that was 3 weeks ago and there are little runners going all over the place already. Should cover the gravel in a couple of months.

lvrt43

Which PetSmart location?
I was told that my Auratus Cichlids would eat them up in no time but I would rather have Dwarf Hairgrass than Java Moss. Any opinions on this and do you have African Cichlids?

[attachment deleted by admin]

charlie

Quote from: lvrt43 on August 27, 2009, 09:21:03 AM
Which PetSmart location?
I was told that my Auratus Cichlids would eat them up in no time but I would rather have Dwarf Hairgrass than Java Moss. Any opinions on this and do you have African Cichlids?
I`m very interested in following the progress of this venture, lots to learn here,perhaps you should start a thread dedicated to this venture.

MalawiCich

I found them at the Petsmart on Merivale close to Costco...they only had 3 and I bought all of them. I called around to other Petsmarts and they didn't have any at the time. They said they always get a mix of plants, not always the same and can't garantee any specific plant, but you can call around every week to find out. The 3 I got were actually enough to separate into lots of small bundles and plant al over. I'm keeping Discus and they don't mess with my plants, but when the same had Malawi cichlids my plants were always floating and being trashed so I only kept rocks there.

Good luck!

lvrt43

I have Java Fern and Cryptocoryne Wendtii (Crypts) and they don't bother with them at all so they are really taking off with growth over the past 3 weeks. Also, I know that my Cichlids will not interfere with Java Moss, Dwarf or Giant Anubias, especially Anubais Nana. However, I'll be darned if I can find any information on "cichlid destruction of Dwarf Hairgrass".
Hmmmm --- that last phrase is something I haven't googled yet ---- "cichlid destruction of Dwarf Hairgrass". I'll google it now and see what pops up.

Thanks for the reply and -- oh yeah ---- I would have grabbed all 3 Hairgrass as well --- Good for you!  >:( ::)