New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

What plants can we......?????

Started by zippity, September 10, 2009, 05:33:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zippity

use for our new 10 gal tank? Something that will survive obviously with low maintenance and little care, and for fish, not sure what will occupy the tank yet but first we are more concerned about the plants. It will be a compact Flouresecent light.

Consigliere

crypts are low maintenance, fairly low light and will fill in a 10G nicely.

charlie

OMG,   :D :D
Apart from crypts, good old Java fern & anubias, i don`t think even you can kill those  ;D

http://www.canadianfishforums.com/plants/plants.htm

zippity

thanks guys, yes we looked into crypts, jave ferns and anubias. I got some nice eco complete substrate from Big Al's and a nice flouresecent light so lighting is good, and substrate filled with all the nutrients and minerals they will need. Now the question is do you guys have any of thos eplants floating around or know anyone?

Charlie, would love to come to breakfast on Saturday but I am at LaFleche ziplining with family, spending time with them before i leave for military.

zippity

oh yea forgot to mention my lighting on the 10 gal is an 18" 15 watt flourescent bulb. If that helps and yea even i shouldnt kill those plants except it will be Mrs zippity that is taking care of them i will be gone for almost 1.5 years.

charlie

Quote from: zippity on September 11, 2009, 11:39:38 AM
oh yea forgot to mention my lighting on the 10 gal is an 18" 15 watt flourescent bulb. If that helps and yea even i shouldnt kill those plants except it will be Mrs zippity that is taking care of them i will be gone for almost 1.5 years.
Mr Zippity, nice substrate, although the crypts will thank you & enjoy the eco complete, the anubias & Java won`t really care, since they both are not plants you root into substrate but rather anchor on rocks & driftwood.
The nice 15 watt fluorescent strip would most likely need some assistance from another strip or other fixture, on a 10 gallon tank the lighting rule of thumb takes a different approach, so you would probably be wise to get a little more lighting,here is link that would better explain my suggestion
http://www.rexgrigg.com/mlt.html
Make sure Mrs. Zippity reading this  ;)

Zigot

I think a couple of small sword plants will do fine in your tank.
Hygrophila polysperma is another easy plant to grow.
2-3 cory for bottom level and a small group of tetra will be good.