New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

first setup

Started by androo303, February 15, 2010, 10:18:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

androo303

Hi, I have been reading on this forums for some good time now and have learned a lot of stuff. I currently have a 30 gallon with plastic plants, and a drift log with 10 fish. I have a 10 gallon collecting dust and was thinking of making it a planted aquarium. Can anyone help me out, as I am looking for the following information...

1. What types of plants and how many can i put in there?
2. Types of lighting (cheapest is best).
3. Types of fish. I would like to try the cichlid hobby, however I have been reading that they should not be put in 10 gallon tanks.
4. Substrate type.
5. CO2 or not?
6. Best place to check for fresh plants.

As always, your help is greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

Andy

mkowals2

Hey Andy, welcome to OVAS :)

1. The type of plants will depend on the lighting you choose, and to an extent, whether or not you decide to inject CO2.
3. Though I've never owned any, one problem I have read about cichlids (not all of them, though) is that they are likely to eat your plants unless you go with certain more rugged types of plants, but no doubt some experienced cichlid keepers will be able to help you out here much better than I can :P
6. I have found so far that the best plants I have purchased I found here on the OVAS classifieds. You will frequently find people selling plants/cuttings for much cheaper than you tend to find them in the stores.

Good luck with your planted adventure and hopefully you learn a lot from the many knowledgeable and helpful folks here on the forum.

-Mike

fischkopp

Given that this is your first leap into planted tanks I would suggest you start slowly with less demanding plants - you can exchange them later as you get more experiences with this matter.

1. Your tank size is somewhat limiting, you should stay away from bigger & taller plants like most amazon swords for example - although they are great to start with. Cryptocorynes, ferns, java moss, hygrophilia are some possible candidates, sure there are many more.

2. Compact fluorescent screw in bulbs tend to be the most economic light solution on small tanks. 20 - 30W is more then plenty.

3. Small tank = small fish. Tetras are great in planted tanks. South american dwarf cichlids can be kept in 10 gal as single pairs, although bigger sized tanks are preferred.

4. Don't worry about substrate at this point, anything will do. Well, keep it natural. Most plant substrate are great these days, but they aren't a must have.

5. That depends on you. DIY will be the way to start. But it will keep you busy ...

6. Tough questions, LFS are mostly a hit and miss, except for La Niche. Club auctions or c/f are probably your best option.

Have fun!  ;)
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031