New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

First Planted Tank

Started by androo303, October 07, 2010, 06:37:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

androo303

Good Evening All, let me start by saying you guys (and gals) are awesome! thanks for all the insight i have received in the past and in the future!

Anyways, I just started my tank about 1.5 weeks ago (the last weekend of September) and was wondering if i am doing things right.

Substrate: Fluorite Black Sand
Light: 65w Coralife
Filtration: HOB Biowheel
Chemicals: Prime Water Conditioner, Fluorish Excel
Fish: None yet (hopefully tetras and platies)
Plants: Java Fern, Anubia

I am wondering if they are looking healthy and if i should change anything (photos below)?

Andrew

[attachment deleted by admin]

sas

Looking very nice so far :).

Just a few thoughts though. Watch when you' re planting,
and make sure you don't get any sand cloud in your filter.

Also from your pics it looks like you've got the java fern planted.
Your better off tying it to driftwood or onto rocks, since it
doesn't like it's rhizome buried, it tends to rot if down in the sand.
Also I don't see any anubias that you mentioned? But in any case it
doesn't like to be planted either.
The other long leafed plant would that be a val of some sort?

I also like to put a backing on my tanks, helps to hide
all the power chords running down the back.

Good job so far and have fun. :) Soon you'll be
setting up a second planted tank 8).

Jitters

That's what I read about anubias too.  That it doesn't like to be planted.  I planted mine but only a bit by the roots to weigh it down.  The rest of the roots are growing out of ground and extending nicely.  I think the part that you aren't suppose to plant is the rounded part at the bottom of the leaves.

You tank looks great Androo.  You'll find a planted tank is way more enjoyable then a tank with fake plants because you can plant new ones and watch them grow.

I sound like a pro lol.  I actually only had my planted tank up for six weeks.  I'm hooked..and as you all know...I love Cabomba.  Try some of that Androo and it will be love at first site.

androo303

Coool! :) Thanks. So i guess the best way is to take the ferns and tie them to the rock with probably fishing line?? Hmm.

As for the larger leaf plant, i am unsure what it was called. I just asked for super simple plant to grow... Anyways, that aside, I am wondering if the black on the tip is alright or if that means the plant is dying.

I painted the back of my tank black so it hides the wires, so hopefully the only wire i have showing, if any, is the one that is inside the tank.

fischkopp

Good start. That substrate should give you a nice boost for the first few months. No need to fertilize. So far you have mostly slow growers. Try to fill in more and faster growing plants (the more the better, but keep in mind that plants need space to grow) to balance the tank more. Good candidates are Hygrophila, Cryptocoryne, Echinodorus just to name a few. Welcome to the green side! ;)

Quote from: androo303 on October 08, 2010, 05:13:12 PM
So i guess the best way is to take the ferns and tie them to the rock with probably fishing line?? Hmm.

Try cotton string. It will eventually deteriorate.

Quote from: androo303 on October 08, 2010, 05:13:12 PM
As for the larger leaf plant, i am unsure what it was called.

Vallisneria sp.
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

androo303

Ok. So to get this straight...

JavaFern should be tied or attached to something above the sand (ie on the rock or drift wood)

What about the Vallisneria sp.? Can i plant that below the sand?

fischkopp

Just to make sure we talking about the same plants ... :)
- Java fern is the plant with broader leafs in the third pic (5062)
- Vallisneria has long, narrow, sometime spiral leafs, centred in the last picture

Valls should be planted so that the roots are fully covered by gravel/sand, but not deeper.
Ferns grow bets tied to rock or wood; the rhizome has to stay above the substrate. Eventually they will grow tight onto the rock/wood.
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

Jitters

You could tie it with the fishing line you said.  It would be clear and hard to see.  But if you use cotton thread, it should break down after a few months, an by that time the roots should of attached themselves to the surface you tied them too.  I used a piece of wood for mine.

androo303

Quote from: fischkopp on October 08, 2010, 06:50:00 PM
Just to make sure we talking about the same plants ... :)
- Java fern is the plant with broader leafs in the third pic (5062)
- Vallisneria has long, narrow, sometime spiral leafs, centred in the last picture

Aha... Thanks.. I needed that clarification!!! Correction to the tank made! Gracias!  ;D

Quote from: Jitters on October 09, 2010, 09:19:55 AM
You could tie it with the fishing line you said.  It would be clear and hard to see.  But if you use cotton thread, it should break down after a few months, an by that time the roots should of attached themselves to the surface you tied them too.  I used a piece of wood for mine.

Thanks for the idea. I may have to pickup some driftwood today. I would like to make one of those trees that everyone is able to make... Hmmm..... Now my brain is starting to run wiled.

androo303

Quick question....

How long does it take for my plants to stop melting? It seems as though they are turning brown on the tips...

Does it only happen to certain leaves?? I have also been reading that flourish excel is not recommended for use with these types of plants.

fischkopp

The ferns should be fine. Excel is know to have that melting effect on vals. This won't stop. But you can use a (much) lower dosage than recommended, or IMO stop using excel completely at the moment. The type of plants and their number won't require it at all. Once you add other and more plant there will be a higher demand on CO2 supplementation you can start supplementing again.
my fish suck

androo303

Gracias!! i will cease all dosing until these babies take and then move into a more high tech plant!

androo303

Oh.. Now I know why people do this hobby.. MY java fern and vallesneria have somewhat taken, I can see new roots growing out and finding their way into the fluorite!!  :D ;D WOOT!

I tested my water again to keep the nitrites, nitrates, other good stuff down and figured I should test the pH, and sure enough it dropped to 7.6/7.8!!  ;D ;D ;D

Oh this hobby is addicting. Who knows, we'll see some new platties in the tank come sunday!