New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

ID Please...

Started by ajm1961, March 17, 2011, 02:11:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ajm1961

While I was in Montreal on holidays with the family, I managed to squeeze in a visit to Nature Pet in Pointe-Claire. I bought three plants for $10 - I thought it was a good deal. Problem is, the guy wasn't too knowledgable on plants.
So, I have three nice looking plants, but no idea on their species and requirements... yep, impulse buy!
Can anyone tell me anything about these plants based on the following pictures? (Two pictures per plant, one of the whole plant, the other more close-up of the leaves)
It would be appreciated...
SHARE YOUR PASSION FOR THE HOBBY!

Patrick S

This site is a good start to help you identify aquarium plants:

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/plantfinder/

Patrick

marc-andre

the first photo is a mayaca fluviatilis, the second one looks like a hygrophila difformis. Don't know the third one.

fischkopp

The third one could be a Lobelia species.
be aware of the green side
my fish suck
L007 ♦ L014 ♦ L034 ♦ L046 ♦ L106 ♦ L128 ♦ L134 ♦ L136B ♦ L183 ♦ L191 ♦ L200 ♦ L340 ♦ LDA031

charlie

My guess  is
#1 - i`m with Marc-Andre ( Mayaca fluviatilis)
#2 - WaterSprite
#3 - don`t know

jetstream

There's chance the third plant is still in emersed form and maybe belongs to the Alternanthera ficoidea family. Not 100% sure! Give it sometime and see the leaf's shape will change!  :)

ajm1961

Took me awhile to research all this, and you all led me to the right plants, I think...
Here's what I found:

1. Without a doubt, Mayaca Fluviatilis (thanks Marc-Andre and Charlie).

2. This would appear to be "water sprite" - Ceratopteris Thalictroides (thanks Charlie).

3. This one was hard - I believe JetStream is right on this one - thanks:
Alternanthera ficodea bettzickiana 'Green'.
But the leaves would have to start growing more oblong.

Here's the pictures I found - all from the same page (but other pics did help "conclude" the ID): http://www.tropicalfishintl.com/springplants.htm

Much appreciated - I'll post other pictures once I plant them properly in the tank!
SHARE YOUR PASSION FOR THE HOBBY!