New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Lack of Substrate

Started by androo303, March 11, 2012, 01:16:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

androo303

Hi all,

So after planting my lovely auction plants, I noticed that I definitely do not have enough substrate. If they are planted and I can see the roots but the plant is rooted, can I leave as is until I move in 3 months or must I add substrate ASAP?

exv152

When you say not enough substrate, how much in inches are you referring to, and what kind of plants did you buy?
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

androo303

Hey, the substrate is EcoComplete and it is about a half an inch in low spots and upwards  of 1.5 in high spots.

The plants are...

1 x Amazon queen
2 x Amazon swords
2-3 x Blyxa Japonica
4-5 x Pennywort (I think)
2 x Ambulia

Thanks for your help!!

exv152

The swords for sure need deeper substrate because they're predominantly root feeders.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

androo303

Quote from: exv152 on March 11, 2012, 10:19:37 PM
The swords for sure need deeper substrate because they're predominantly root feeders.

Sounds good. I am going to go through the work tomorrow to raise/add some more substrate.... Now if I can find a pop bottle to use to assist.

exv152

A two litre pop bottle cut in half is an excellent planter for swords. I have a tank with six swords planted in pop bottles, in a depth of about five to six inches, and I can see the roots still hit the bottom of those containers.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

androo303

Woah. Never though of that idea.... Hmm.. But i'd rather stay away from keeping bottom of the bottles in the tank (for aesthetics only).

exv152

Quote from: androo303 on March 12, 2012, 12:31:30 PM
Woah. Never though of that idea.... Hmm.. But i'd rather stay away from keeping bottom of the bottles in the tank (for aesthetics only).

I have them in a 75g which isn't a show tank, and the rest of the tank is bare bottom. It's so easy to keep clean and healthy. But once I'm done building the stand I'll be adding the swords to 4-5 inches of rich substrate.  The pots are a good idea for a plant nursery type of setup.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

androo303

Thanks Eric! That is a great idea!!!!

I have added about 4-5 cups of Eco complete around the swords and other low points in the tank. Hopefully this will help the cause. I greatly appreciate your help and experience!