New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Help with plant ID?

Started by 76brian, October 06, 2012, 08:52:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

76brian

Can't find it on any of the plant finder sites I know of... although it kind of looks similar to "Elatine triandra", but the leaves on mine look narrower and spaced further apart vertically on the stem.

There was a small amount of this in a bag of something else I got at the swap meet (can't remember what bag it came out of and who I got it from). It's growing good and looks nice, I want to find more.

Brine

Probably Pearl Weed (Hemianthus micranthemoides) and probably from the bag of Dwarf Sag you got from me

daworldisblack

Quote from: Brine on October 06, 2012, 09:14:05 PM
Probably Pearl Weed (Hemianthus micranthemoides) and probably from the bag of Dwarf Sag you got from me

+1 aka HG (hemianthus glomeratus) http://boplants.com/plants/17-hemianthus-glomeratus
Born-again Aquatic Hobbyist with interest in planted nano tanks and Killifish!

76brian

Shows you what I know, I didn't even know I had dwarf sag... I thought it was pygmy chain sword  ??? lol

Thanks guys, that one didn't come up in my search. I'd heard of pearl weed, but I had no idea what it looked like. Thanks!

Peekay

Brian, if you don't already have this one bookmarked, add it! 

http://www.tropica.com/en/plants/plant-list-a-z.aspx

daworldisblack

Quote from: 76brian on October 07, 2012, 10:00:05 AM
Shows you what I know, I didn't even know I had dwarf sag... I thought it was pygmy chain sword  ??? lol

I thought so on your other thread! Haha  :)

76brian

Haha yeah you did. There's a really good chance I have both and don't know which is which.

76brian

I have another easy one for y'all  8)

The guy I got it from had this planted in the substrate and said it was some kind of lily.

Once I got it home and looked closer at it, I'm pretty sure it's Crested Floating Heart... err, in the pic I guess it would be Crested sitting-on-a-desk Heart, but... anyways ;D Am I right?

Edit, I guess technically it is a lily if it's floating heart... I didn't know it could be planted in substrate though.

daworldisblack

Looks like either a lilly or a lotus - the dwarf kind regardless. I'm curious myself, to see the difference between the two. I have the Tiger Lotus and it grows bigger leaves and thicker stems.. yet the same plant i've seen in Big Al's East grows tall and small leaves and others still, grow leaves hugging the substrate. All intriguing :)

76brian

Yeah, it must be something about the difference in lighting.

I got a tiger lotus as well, and the leaves are similar shape but has a more substantial root system. I can say though that the red really pops among all the green. I love it. I'm not sure what I should do about this plant though. It's floating for now.

exv152

I'm not too sure it's a lily. The leaves look a bit too pointed to be a crested floating heart. Looks a bit like Syngonium podophyllum which is sometimes sold as an aquatic, but I may be wrong.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

76brian

Quote from: exv152 on October 24, 2012, 11:02:55 AMbut I may be wrong.

A quick google image search reveals you probably aren't. I guess I got taken on that one.