New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Calcium Deficiency

Started by androo303, January 21, 2013, 05:29:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

androo303

Hey all.

So I think I may have a calcium deficiency by looking at photos on the net (I will post a picture of some leaves later).

What can I use to up the calcium? Can I get some crushed coral/sand that is used in saltwater tanks and add it to the filter?

exv152

The hydroponics place you buy your dry ferts at also sells calcium nitrate CaNO3. Crushed coral will raise your KH, GH and pH and it's not measureable. The dry stuff is 18.8% Ca min, and 15.5% NO3. So you get the benefit of both and this form of Ca is very water soluable.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

Dan

I had the same question...I wish to raise calcium also.

Has anyone tried this store for Calcium Nitrate (just found them on the Web) www.generalgardens.com/?

androo303

Quote from: exv152 on January 21, 2013, 05:42:21 PM
The hydroponics place you buy your dry ferts at also sells calcium nitrate CaNO3. Crushed coral will raise your KH, GH and pH and it's not measureable. The dry stuff is 18.8% Ca min, and 15.5% NO3. So you get the benefit of both and this form of Ca is very water soluable.

Hey Eric, who is the local hydroponics shop here in Ottawa? I keep forgetting it.

Dan

Ok, so this place www.generalgardens.com/ does not carry it (I dropped by today)...they have nothing aquarium related (should have called first  :()

alexv

Quote from: androo303 on January 22, 2013, 05:17:40 PM
Hey Eric, who is the local hydroponics shop here in Ottawa? I keep forgetting it.

I'm getting my dry ferts from B&B Hydroponics off of Maitland street.
220g FW Community planted: SAE (5), Puntius denisonii (4), clown loach (2), Yoyo loach (3), kuhli loach (3), otocinclus affinis (2), rummynose tetra (3), harlequin rasbora (17), rope fish (1), glass catfish (3), bamboo shrimp (2), upside-down catfish (2), Chinese algae eater (2), rubber-lipped pleco (2), cherry shrimp (many)

55g FW Community planted: Black ghost knifefish (2), Armored bichir (2), banjo catfish (2),  Rosy tetra (2)

blueknight0303

you guys can also try at brite lite at cyrville road. heres the site:

http://www.hydroponix.com/site/

Anubias

Quote from: blueknight0303 on February 05, 2013, 03:49:28 AM
you guys can also try at brite lite at cyrville road. heres the site:

http://www.hydroponix.com/site/

They carry pre-mixed solutions for hydroponics. B & B in the west end carries the dry Ca(NO3)2. Price is fair.

angelcraze

I also suspect that I have a small calcium deficiency in my aquarium with red ramshorn snails and anubias.  Does anyone know if calcium nitrate (caNO3) will also raise ph?  I have crushed coral in the filter already to keep the kh at 3 and ph steady, but I am worried about raising the ph too high for the congo tetras that also share this tank.  I could not find out very much on the web without getting into reef stuff.  Thanks.
Give me ShReD till I'm dEaD!!!

exv152

Quote from: angelcraze on February 14, 2013, 01:33:12 PMDoes anyone know if calcium nitrate (caNO3) will also raise ph?

Yes. Ca will definitely have an effect on the alkalinity.
Eric...
125g, 32g, 7g

angelcraze

Quote from: exv152 on February 14, 2013, 04:39:25 PM
Yes. Ca will definitely have an effect on the alkalinity.

Thanks, I guess if I use it I will add it sparingly.

dpatte

i had a tank that for the longest time had symptoms that I attributed to calcium deficiency. My plants leaves just didnt seem right.

As it turns out, i was underfeeding a tank with a pleco, and when he didn't have enough algae or other food to graze on, he was munching my plants. The other fish were getting enough, but he was shy and by the time he came out for dinner, nothing was left. I increased the food available for him, and the plants recovered quite quickly.
1 210g Asian Community planted fast water tank: balas, tiger & black ruby barbs, red-tail black shark, rainbows, loaches, SAEs, gold CAEs, 1500GPH river flow, plus 1500gph filtration.
1 75g African planted tank: 3 synos (had them since the 90s), yellow labs, kribensis.
1 40g breeder, silicone-divided into two - quarantine and nursery.

angelcraze

I also had an issue I believe with my congo tetras eating my plants, I added veg to their diet and the plants recovered also.  I added calcium-rich vegetables for my ramshorns as well.

Quote from: dpatte on February 16, 2013, 10:58:14 PM
The other fish were getting enough, but he was shy and by the time he came out for dinner, nothing was left. I increased the food available for him, and the plants recovered quite quickly.

I guess feeding him an algae wafer right before the lights go out would help too.