New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Can you have too much light?

Started by AdamR, November 16, 2005, 12:26:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AdamR

I have a 10g on my desk, it is a TOPFIN kit and had 2 25w incandescent bulbs, as a test it took them out and put in 2 15w spiral energy saver bulbs and it is 10 times brighter.  I tried this after reading "Tank Tips #1".

I guess my camera can't handle the lighting properly but you can see the difference.

By the way: This is a test to see convicts having babies, they had babies before in my neighbour's big tank but all were eaten.  :(  The female lost an eye defending her babies.

goldfish4ever

You did EXACTLY what I did not long ago on my 10 gal. And you know what? I found it too hard to even LOOK at the tank with the fluroscents in, so I took em out after only a couple of days. It sucked to  because the fluorescent made my bettas colors POP!!! But id rather use the regular bulbs and not get a headache looking at my fish. In my opinion - if its uncomfortable for US to look at, its probably not that comfortable for the fish. However, think of how bright the sun is shining down on the water in the hot summer in nature! So its really up to you i think.

darkdep

I personally found those bulbs very bright on my 10 and 20, but as soon as a little salt grime builds up on the glass between the light and the tank (hard water in those tanks) they lower the light just enough so I don't need sunglasses.

mseguin

I think its 10 W spiral fluos I have over my 10 gal, but I'm not sure. Might help that its bare bottom, so no reflection of the substrate.

squeeker

Also, if you add some plants, particularly some floating ones, they seem to diffuse the light.  I love the look of them on my 10 gallon, and the plants grow REALLY well!

BigDaddy

You guys all all just used to looking at dim-lit tanks.

That's what the tank is SUPPOSED to look like   :D

Seriously though... I have a 36 watt linear compact fluorescent on my 10 gallon, and I can look at it for days.

You're just not used to it yet.

mseguin

Just wait until BigDaddy puts a metal halide over a 10 gal, then you'll find out what too much light looks like.

NjOyRiD

heres my 10g with that 25w spiral liek you have
370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

kennyman

I have a 30w cf spiral on my 10g and its ok(1500 lumen). But I was changing some bulbs in the greenhouse at work today and spotted some MH fixtures hanging over what is now an aisle. They haven't been used in years! I wonder what kind of deal I can get on one?

My Live Rock will really rock with a MH over it :D

rockgarden

Not to be worried,  BigDaddy's November OVAS presentation on "Lighting" includes a section on proper eye protection and designer sun glasses. :)

Ron