New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Najas Grass

Started by Aiglos, January 13, 2006, 06:02:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aiglos

My question is pertaining to my Najas Grass.

I am throwing out about a good cup of this stuff every week.  It is growing amazing,  I was having problems with Hair algea overtaking the Najas Grass but since adding the AFF and the SAE I no longer have any hairgrass on the najas  but now it is starting to turn a reddish color near the top of the tank.  

I have 65W PC lighting on a 30 gallon tank.  

Am I "burning" this Najas ?  

If I am should I remove the "reddening" Najas ?  It actually looks kinda nice to me I just can't find any references to Najas turning red.  

Thanks

BigDaddy

Most plants, if under intense lighting, get a reddish hue... perfectly normal.

And yeah.. once you get guppy grass going, there's no stopping it!

Aiglos

BigDaddy:   I knew you would be the one replying, I almost PM'd you the question but I figure its good for others to know awswell

I'd say call it guppy weed ;)  

thank you.

NjOyRiD

tthat plant is native from where?
370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

mseguin

Aiglos

Quote from: "NjOyRiD"tthat plant is native from where?

Actually it is a NA Native plant.

The scientifica name will be this Njoyrid  Najas guadalupensis

NjOyRiD

"Five species of Najas occur in Florida (Wunderlin, 1998). Southern naiad is widely distributed thoughout the US and parts of Canada" from one site

"It's a North American native plant but somewhat hard to find except from other hobbyists. " from another one

"Distribution: Slender: northern North America and northern Europe. Common: southern North America, Central and South America. In Washington, slender water-nymph is the more common species, but common water-nymph has been reported." from another

so i say its almost worldwide like hornwort!

can i have a piece? :PPPP
370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

apistome

i will buy some of your excess from you if you are coming down to the meeting on the 23rd  :D

BigDaddy

There are always bags of najas available at the auctions....