New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

cheapest best plant tank setup

Started by ambushman2j, June 29, 2003, 09:10:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ambushman2j

as my impending move out into the real world approaches, the realization that I can now setup a couple more tanks has sprung into my head, I have long wished to setup a somewhat small but effective planted tank, perhaps 33 gallons.. basically I am wondering what all I need to make it a lush, inexpensive tank setup..what is the best way to go about setting this up?

inagremlin

Hey Drew,

First question, what biotope do you want? asian, southamerican, northamerican, european, japonais, .....    I say go for south american cuz then you could get a cool ghost knife like me... i love it! and it would love ruling a heavily planted tank.

The CHEAPEST plant I can suggest is hornwort, which is great as a floating cover which i think all fish love... but especially spawning fish, so you can always grab some outta one tank and plop it in for a betta spawn or whatever. It grows really well which is why it's so cheap, but I dont' think its as pretty as the nice rooted plants. I like asian set ups myself and mine are set in quite nicely. perfect for free-range bettas, they love it.

The HARDIEST fairly cheap plant I know is the Java fern.. there's been some really great lush ones at club auctions. Shannon's is amazing, and they're great cuz even if you stress them, you actually yield more java ferns because they grow off dying ends of the plant... also loved by spawning fish in particular.

Oh and perhaps throw in a  :arrow: thick, georgeous algae ball... undeniably the coolest plant in my collection.

I'm dying to make a plant run, will have to wait until i'm back in ott for a while.... but i definitely suggest that you get you plants from Bob ottawaaquatics. his deals are good because he supplies to big chains in toronto etc. Plus he does tag on an OVAS discount, so you really can't go wrong. He usually has a wide selection at his place... if you order something he doesn't have, he will usually try to get it for you but you have to wait. that's how the algaeballs came to ottawa... I ordered them. He'd likely have suggestions an what plants match your needs. he does know a lot about plants and aquaria.

cheers, gina

ambushman2j

well, I meant cheap more in equiptment then actual plants, I intend to have high turn around fish, as I want something I can sell at auctions to help pay for my hobby..guppies, swords, mollies, platies..something like that, africans can be expensive..heh, I need to suppliment them :)

NjOyRiD

Quote from: "inagremlin"Bob ottawaaquatics

whos that guy?
370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

BigDaddy

Quote from: "ambushman2j"well, I meant cheap more in equiptment then actual plants, I intend to have high turn around fish, as I want something I can sell at auctions to help pay for my hobby..guppies, swords, mollies, platies..something like that, africans can be expensive..heh, I need to suppliment them :)

If you want cheap equipment wise plants, that means low light plants.

Java fern, java moss, anubias, most crypts and hornwort are all low light.  No need for CO2, no need for expensive lighting, little or no requirement for fertilizers.

NjOyRiD

Quote from: "BigDaddy"
Quote from: "ambushman2j"well, I meant cheap more in equiptment then actual plants, I intend to have high turn around fish, as I want something I can sell at auctions to help pay for my hobby..guppies, swords, mollies, platies..something like that, africans can be expensive..heh, I need to suppliment them :)

If you want cheap equipment wise plants, that means low light plants.

Java fern, java moss, anubias, most crypts and hornwort are all low light.  No need for CO2, no need for expensive lighting, little or no requirement for fertilizers.

on your site www.plantgeek.com..does it talk about fertilizers?
what would you suggest me?
370g System

220g tank, 65g Sump. octopus Cone skimmer xp-5000, vertex zf-30 nitrate reactor, RX6 DUO Ca reactor, Mp60w Ecotech pump, 2x 400w MH XM bulbs 15k. All controlled with DA RKE-net controller, Water Blaster HY-3000 return pump, Vertex Zf-15/Carbon, Vertex Zf-15/GFO

DonCorleone

That's your site :?: I'm very impressed

luvfishies

Actually, BigDaddy is a moderator over at plantgeek.net  The actual site is owned by a guy named Curt.

Excellent site, with info about lights, substrates, ferts (commercial and DIY/powdered).

I cut costs here by getting ferts from the hydroponics store, and using incandescent fixtures with compact screw-in flourescent lights. DIY CO2 suffices for now, as well, in the higher-light tanks.

BigDaddy

When did you start DIY CO2 luvs?

The last time we chatted you were still using Excel.

luvfishies

Quote from: "BigDaddy"When did you start DIY CO2 luvs?

The last time we chatted you were still using Excel.

BigDaddy, I changed over about 8 months ago, and haven't looked back. I do a version of the Jell-o DIY, with Gelatin bought from the Bulk Store. I don't get the initial "surge" of CO2, but rather a nice steady output for about 4-5 weeks.

BigDaddy

I've recently switched to pressurized (I guess 4 months now) and I'll never turn back