New meeting location for the 2023/2024 Season will be at J.A. Dulude arena.  Meetings start at 7 pm.

Need help with PVC 'plumbing'

Started by dpatte, November 18, 2004, 02:34:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dpatte

Does anyone have any experience building aquarium plumbing using PVC pipe?

Id like to use some 802 quickfilters in my new 150, but want the powerheads at one off the tank and the quickfilters at the other end (to help generate a current).

I was thinking of building something out of PVC piping. Does anyone have experience using PVC piping for freshwater tanks? is the pvc PIPE non toxic?  What about the glue? (I guess its ok since it is used for home drinking water systems)

Does anyone have any experience mating a hagen quickfilter or powerhead to STANDARD PVC piping so that its watertight?

Im actually thinking of using 3 802s plus two marineland 350s on this tank to generate a 2000GPH current - or should i just go out and get a pool pump? (or find a shrink)

BigDaddy

PVC pipe is non-toxic, as is PVC cement.  Inline CO2 reactor designs have been on the web for ages, and they all use PVC pipe.

For 150 gallons... your pool pump is actually not a bad idea.  Depends on if it is cheaper than a Mag Drive 9.5 ($180 at Big Al's).

Question:  Are you doing an overflow/sump setup - wet/dry?  Or did you have another filtration idea in mind?

As well, why so much current?  2000 GPH for a 150 gallon tank seems a little excessive to me (although I haven't ever owned a tank that large so maybe I'm just not informed about filtration levels for larger tanks).

dpatte

Im thinking of using two magnum 350s for wetdry and cansiter filtration, and the 802 quickfilters for extra current. If I get a pump that has a separate in and out hose, instead of suing quickfilters,  then i dont actually need the PVC at all.

time to check bigals LOL

Marx

Dave what about getting a laguna pond pump? rated 2000gph?

check aquaria canada classifeids there one for sale...

saltydog

I recommend to drill the tank & create a closed-loop circulation system using PVC pipe. You would use an external pump for this
& can easily have 1000-2000 gallons per hour turn-over, depending on the pump you choose. (Pool & pond pumps tend to be noisy.) You can also use the piping system you create to drain the tank for water changes.
-thankful for a tankfull-

dpatte

its tempered glass - but im now looking at pool pumps in the 2000 gph range

saltydog

Tank might be tempered glass on bottom but I doubt it is tempered on all sides.
-thankful for a tankfull-

dpatte

any recommedation for quality pumps?

DARKPHREAK

Might want to ask that question over at Aquaria Canada. They would be able to give you good ideas about pumps.

gator

PVC cement is toxic - I've seen the MSDS sheets on it - but the good thing about it is that all of the toxic volatiles evaporate off very quickly - like 24 hours.

dpatte

Does anyone have experience with the new generation of Supreme pumps?

Years ago (30) i used to use supreme power filters on my jack dempsey tanks. The model I liked at the time was called a 'Power Plus 600 (600GPH)' - and it certainly pumped a storm!

But now Im looking at the supreme mag drive 18 (1800gph) pump. This is used as a circulation or pond pump. Does anyone know if its quiet, if its efficient power-wise, and if it lasts well?

That, a Magnum 350, and and Emperor 400 should do the trick in keeping a 150 clean & moving.

luvfishies

David, Little Giant pumps have a great rep! You might want to look into those.